Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,606
Rewards Points: 2,248
Default

Thin paint or buy another quart?


As bad as I hate to admit it where I am HD can match paint MUCH better than either SW or BM. Just found out an interesting fact SW doesn't make color choice anymore. Glidden is now making all Wally World paint.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #17
Member
 
Jmayspaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,263
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Thin paint or buy another quart?


I have no experience with HD, but I have had numerous incidents of miss tinting at the other big box in the past. Although, in recent years they certainly have gotten better. I think the computer matching equipment has gotten almost fool proof. I still run across some employee every now and then who doesn't seem to have a clue how to use the machines, but not very often.

I buy a lot of paint from several different stores, an barring the small hardware stores that don't have computer matching equipment at all, I haven't had a serious miss tint issue anywhere in a couple years.

Getting it close enough for perfect touch up though, is not a given anywhere IME.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
Member
 
kimberland30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 325
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Thin paint or buy another quart?


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
It really should or would not be a problem if it was from a real paint store, say, Ben Moore, but being Valspar, then yes, I see your point.
Sorry but I call BS on this. I bought our cabinet paint from Sherwin Williams (oil based - SW was the only place I could get it). I had to get a quart of it when we decided to put crown at the tops of the cabinets to 'dress them up a little'. The colors don't match perfectly, one is a little lighter than the other. Not so much that it's noticeable to anyone but my OCD self, but buying paint at a "real paint store" doesn't guarantee that it will match 100% of the time. At least not in my case.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,021
Rewards Points: 2,242
Default

Thin paint or buy another quart?


There are some people on this forum who formed an opinion 20 years ago, and won't change no matter what. That opinion involves things like "Behr paint will require 37 coats and still fall off your walls, if not pull your walls down, before turning into radioactive toxic sludge and killing your entire family."

Also, "If you buy your paint from Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore, the store personnel will treat as if they make $10,000 commission for helping you, and you will be a virtual van Gogh without even trying, and your walls will withstand nuclear attack."

You can filter out such posts and move on to more useful ones, sent from our planet.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,020
Rewards Points: 2,228
Default

Thin paint or buy another quart?


Took a BM paint chip to HD last week for a match. They couldn't cross reference it and attempted twice to match it. My wife settled on the best they could do. Luckily we weren't matching an existing color.
I have not had good luck with HD product line or sales help in the paint department. SW sales guy didn't have the time of day for me.....
My paint business will be with BM in the future- they're 4 blocks from my house, but were closed when my wife wanted to paint
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,021
Rewards Points: 2,242
Default

Thin paint or buy another quart?


Unless you create an account and form a relationship with a real paint professional, then attempts at most stores that sell paint are going to be pretty hit-or-miss. I've seen the gamut from morons to very professional.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #22
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,793
Rewards Points: 2,092
Default

Thin paint or buy another quart?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
There are some people on this forum who formed an opinion 20 years ago, and won't change no matter what. That opinion involves things like "Behr paint will require 37 coats and still fall off your walls, if not pull your walls down, before turning into radioactive toxic sludge and killing your entire family."

Also, "If you buy your paint from Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore, the store personnel will treat as if they make $10,000 commission for helping you, and you will be a virtual van Gogh without even trying, and your walls will withstand nuclear attack."

You can filter out such posts and move on to more useful ones, sent from our planet.

the paint wizard knows all
Attached Images
 
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #23
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,793
Rewards Points: 2,092
Default

Thin paint or buy another quart?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberland30 View Post
Sorry but I call BS on this. I bought our cabinet paint from Sherwin Williams (oil based - SW was the only place I could get it). I had to get a quart of it when we decided to put crown at the tops of the cabinets to 'dress them up a little'. The colors don't match perfectly, one is a little lighter than the other. Not so much that it's noticeable to anyone but my OCD self, but buying paint at a "real paint store" doesn't guarantee that it will match 100% of the time. At least not in my case.

As the wizard would say" read my post, I never said that"
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #24
Member
 
kimberland30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 325
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Thin paint or buy another quart?


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
As the wizard would say" read my post, I never said that"
This is splitting hairs over something that really doesn't matter because I've already solved my initial problem. But no, you didn't SAY it but you did allude to it.

Me: but paint rarely matches 100% when going from a gallon to quart, or vice versa.

You: (who changed the font color of that part of my post for emphasis) It really should or would not be a problem if it was from a real paint store, say, Ben Moore, but being Valspar, then yes, I see your point.

So I read it to mean that if I had gone to a "real paint store" I wouldn't have a problem matching paint...which kinda is what you said. Right?

kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ceiling paint versus wall paint billyg Painting 6 02-09-2012 07:38 PM
Dark over light...Do I need tinted primer? melissaandkris Painting 17 09-09-2011 10:43 AM
Painting Old House Smokin Gun Painting 36 07-05-2011 01:24 AM
Bad Bad Paint job to fix. Cleaning brick overspray and other problems. (Pics) ewheatley Painting 1 05-19-2009 01:08 PM
Joint compound to smooth old paint layers. gmhut Painting 1 05-03-2009 05:50 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.