Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Is There A Test To See If You Need To Degloss Paint?

I am about to repaint a laundry room. I am not sure if the paint on the walls is semi-gloss, but it is at least a satin finish.

Is there any quick test to see if you need to sand the paint first?

kaalapurushha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,230

The quick answer is "when in doubt, SAND!" I mean, it will take you all of 5 minutes to sand with a pole sander or a Scotch Brand sponge sander. Most of us pros sand anyway to get any "boogers" off the walls and it allows you to see any holes you missed that you need to spackle. Just be careful when sanding that you don't hit a nail left in the wall and it catches your hand......ouch.

As far as any test, I don't know of any that exist to test for gloss. I suppose if you take your hand and can wipe it along the surface without much resistance you have a glossy surface. If you feel any sort of roughness, it's a flat. Also, semi or high gloss is pretty easy to see........it almost has a mirror like shine to it.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
user1007 (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can test to see if you have an oil finish or latex/acrylic but I bet the latter. And if you are painting with a high bonding primer or even most waterbased paint, it no longer matters much. It used to be you would want to put down an alkyd or bonding primer first when changing between oil and water. Alkyd was the great equalizer since you can put just about anything over it.

As Gymschu suggests, with a decent pole sander and some fine grit paper, you will fly through sanding the room and will know you have done all you can to assure a nice bonding between your existing old finish and new paint. Assuming you do other prep and use good paint, and primer if needed (they do not come in the same can) you will be good to go. Remember, 95 percent of a nice paint job hides in the prep!

Do get a decent pole sander as you will probably use it again and again for your projects. The super cheap plastic box store things you have to fight are not worth the money. Get one that articulates nicely from a real paint store so you are not fighting your tool.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yup- a quick sand not only doesn't hurt anything- it helps!
But (with some exception) usually going over a latex with a latex is not a big adhesion problem, particularly with quality products.
It is going from an oil base to waterborne that real care must be taken.