Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

is there a smoother exterior paint than SW Duration

I just painted a porch using SW Duration semi-gloss. Having read here the importance of applying thickly, I did so. The good news was that it covered well. The bad news was because it's so thick, it left very obvious brush marks, even on smooth wood. I also had to clean my brush a couple of times while applying because it got so goopy. I expect a certain amount of brush marks and don't mind them, but these seem more obvious and the paint takes a while to apply.

I have heard good things about Benjamin Moore and California for exterior (sounds like everyone has a preference but these are all in the top). Does anyone know if these apply a smoother coat, with less brush marks?

agnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnorman View Post
I just painted a porch using SW Duration semi-gloss. Having read here the importance of applying thickly, I did so. The good news was that it covered well. The bad news was because it's so thick, it left very obvious brush marks, even on smooth wood. I also had to clean my brush a couple of times while applying because it got so goopy. I expect a certain amount of brush marks and don't mind them, but these seem more obvious and the paint takes a while to apply.

I have heard good things about Benjamin Moore and California for exterior (sounds like everyone has a preference but these are all in the top). Does anyone know if these apply a smoother coat, with less brush marks?
Regardless of what brand you use you are working with a semi-gloss sheen which is hard to work with. It is in the application and the way it is brushed on as to whether or not you will have brush marks. Use a quality brush, maintain a wet edge, back brush it out in one direction, and don't keep going over the paint trying to fix a spot.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

agree with the above

however, i would use an airless, not a brush.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnorman View Post

Very often two thinner coats are better than one thick coat. It can be tough to get good results with a single coat.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
benjamin moore, california, exterior paint, sherman williams duration