Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Share |

Texturing problem - Old moulding removal

Hi all. I recently purchased a house that needs a little work. One of the odd things about the house that I didn't like, is that there is this weird chair railing trim all throughout the house. Perhaps someone in a wheel chair used to live there. Anyway, when I removed the trim in the living room, ran into some problems.

As you can see from the pics, there is a difference between the area that was under the trim/railing, and what was not under it. Above and below it, are not level with what was underneath the trim. And in places, it tore up a little bit of the sheet rock paper when I removed the trim. So what is my best option of repairing this? How should I go about fixing this and making it look as if that trim was never there? I am not going to be putting the trim back up, as it is ALL throughout the house and is very off putting and weird.

Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 212

Lucky you having to and fix this one.
The paint came off most likly because you did not cut along the paint line before removing.
It's two differant textures on the wall.
If it was mine I'd just go over the whole wall with 1/4" drywall.
I'm sure someone will say that will throw off all the trim and outlets. Not true, there's more then enough wire to pull the outlet out of the wall and tip it so it sits back in the box so you can get the rock on the wall and just screw the outlet back in place.
When cutting it to go around the window and door trim just cut it back far enough from the jambs that the casing will cover it but give you room so it fits tight to the jambs.
If not the whole walls going to have to be skim coated to even it out.
One of the dozen or so reasons most of us hate textured anything.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 38

That's going to be tough to fix. Texture patches almost always show.
Maybe prime the walks solid and go from there?
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

If I'm understanding you correctly, you mean removing ALL the texture on the walls, right? By spraying them "flat" again? Sort of spray something new on them that makes the texture go away. And that would fill in all of the areas that were under the trim. Is that what you are saying?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #5

No way that's going to work!!!!!!!!!!!!
Makes 0 since.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava
If I'm understanding you correctly, you mean removing ALL the texture on the walls, right? By spraying them "flat" again? Sort of spray something new on them that makes the texture go away. And that would fill in all of the areas that were under the trim. Is that what you are saying?
No sorry. I meant it might be a good idea to put one coat of primer or paint on the walls so you could better see what actually needs patched.
Obviously the places where the Sheetrock paper tore will have to be patched. But with the two tone paint, and no paint under the rail,its hard to tell how extensive the patching will need to be.
It looks bad now, but I bet it would look a lot better if it was all one solid color. Then you could better see what needs attention.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #7

I cant believe when someone suggest to cover the wall with new drywall because of texture.
The texture on the bottom is nasty stuff, above the chair rail is decent and easy to match if wanted.
This week, 2 guys before lunch, skim coated a 15'x25' room that had the nasty bumpy plaster texture. Walls only) We easily could have applied a second coat in the afternoon and brought it almost ready for a smooth no texture paint.
Could easily been ready for paint if wanted a texture on the second coat.

To even consider covering it with drywall and start fresh is crazy in my mind.
I really think that a smooth finish with no texture is timeless and will always be in style.
It will take longer for a noob to achieve it and figure out things as they go.
But to simply skim coat a room to disappear the current texture is simple.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #8

To even consider covering it with drywall and start fresh is crazy in my mind.
I really think that a smooth finish with no texture is timeless and will always be in style.
It will take longer for a noob to achieve it and figure out things as they go.
But to simply skim coat a room to disappear the current texture is simple.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering how hard that would be. So do you basically end up with level 5 dry wall?
How many coats to totally cover it?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #9

I would love to be a fly on the wall and watch a DIY try and skim coat a whole house.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #10

How many coats depends on skill level and tools.
How I would approach it, I would put 1/2 a bag of ez-sand 45 powdered mud in a 5 gallon bucket, then use powdered structolite plaster and clean water to finish filling the 5 gallon pail.
Mix with a paddle and a 1/2" drill to desired consistency.

I would then use a drywall hock and a plaster trowel to apply to the wall.
I can achieve a much thicker and smoother coat with these tools, vrs a pan and a drywall knife.
The plaster has a lot of body to it and can apply it thick, the ez-sand is a catalyst that causes the mixture to go solid fast.
As you learn to work the plaster trowel back and forth, you can cover some ground quickly and it comes up smooth.
You go to lunch and it is ready for a light scraping and a second coat.
Now it is a bit tricky to continue, is many choices.
I assume we want smooth and then paint. At the second coat, because plaster has a lot of sand in it and is a flat surface now but still a gritty sandy surface.
I would mix up straight ez-sand hot mud and use it to skim coat the next layer.
Then the following morning, would be just regular topping mud for a really smooth finish. Paint when dry and probably not the same day.

I have a current project running in projects and showcase and we are into plaster now. Am using a new product and is plaster and not mud, we have that room down to smooth in 2 coats. I do not like the product and will write a review about it, but yeah! 1 base coat and then 1 color coat meaning 2 coats and is no paint required.
Jmayspaint (05-24-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would love to be a fly on the wall and watch a DIY try and skim coat a whole house.
I've seen that done, its not that hard. Not what I'm doing, though.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 60

You know how Crisn reacts to glue I'm starting to understand, I feel the same way about cover it up with 1/4" drywall. Since you have 2 different types of texture it would be almost impossible to match. I would suggest a pole sander medium sanding screens and sand down don't really need to get it all the way smooth just pretty close. Paint with a large nap roller and the stipple from that will look a lot like orange peel. Or skim coat it.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
chrisn (05-27-2013), Jmayspaint (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker
You know how Crisn reacts to glue I'm starting to understand, I feel the same way about cover it up with 1/4" drywall. Since you have 2 different types of texture it would be almost impossible to match. I would suggest a pole sander medium sanding screens and sand down don't really need to get it all the way smooth just pretty close. Paint with a large nap roller and the stipple from that will look a lot like orange peel. Or skim coat it.
Or use an orbital sander with 120 paper. Hooking a shop vac up to the exact port of the sander helps a lot with dust.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (05-26-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #14

Ok wait I think I might be confused on what yall are calling "skim coating". Are you talking about getting rid of all texture on a wall, by filling it in with mud?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava
Ok wait I think I might be confused on what yall are calling "skim coating". Are you talking about getting rid of all texture on a wall, by filling it in with mud?
Yes, that what skim coat means.