Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Texturing a Previously Wallpapered Wall

Joewho asked me to start a new thread for this project. Prevous thread was under "Resurfacing Drywall".

How do I know if the drywall was ever primed or sized and sanded? The wallpaper is peeling off in one piece, just like it went up.

I've been practicing on a scrap sheet with a light-weight mud and a large trowel. I'm thinking about:

--Troweling 2 or 3 lightweight coats, looking for a stucco or plaster like finish

--Troweling 1 or 2 lightweight coats and try for a knock-down like finish

--Troweling 1 or 2 lightweight coats and try to match what looks like an oval sponge off finish on the few walls in my house not wall-papered

--Troweling a light coat on and use a texturizing roller I got at my local lumbar company.

Ideas? Suggestions

shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Pro Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
Joewho asked me to start a new thread for this project. Prevous thread was under "Resurfacing Drywall".

How do I know if the drywall was ever primed or sized and sanded? The wallpaper is peeling off in one piece, just like it went up.

I've been practicing on a scrap sheet with a light-weight mud and a large trowel. I'm thinking about:

--Troweling 2 or 3 lightweight coats, looking for a stucco or plaster like finish

--Troweling 1 or 2 lightweight coats and try for a knock-down like finish

--Troweling 1 or 2 lightweight coats and try to match what looks like an oval sponge off finish on the few walls in my house not wall-papered

--Troweling a light coat on and use a texturizing roller I got at my local lumbar company.

Ideas? Suggestions
Your co-operation is appreciated.

The drywall will be white if it's been primed. If the paper came down that easily, it must have been sized. If nothing was used, the paper would be a lot harder to get off and the wall would be bare drywall (gray).

As far as sanding, it will help remove any leftover paste or other debri and smooth the surface.

To achieve a venetian plaster look, trowel on a couple of coats. I don't know what you mean by lightweight? you mean pre-mixed drywall mud?

For any of the other textures, you'll need to use the roller. For stucco, just apply the mud and roll it. Roll less for a rough texture, each time you roll over the mud the stucco texture will be less pronounced, but still stucco.

For a knockdown, apply the mud, roll it and then lightly drag your knife over the stucco to knock it down. This will require some thinning of the material.

Yup, I'm avoiding the direct question. I don't know what would look best for you. I like either the plaster look or match the sponge.

joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #3

Cool

Yup, I'm avoiding the direct question. I don't know what would look best for you. I like either the plaster look or match the sponge.[/quote]

Nope you didn't avoid anything; in fact you answered all my questions.

I forget what the mud package says but it is supposed to be lightweight. Not premixed. I have to add water, stir and ba.... oh that's my brownies LOL
Old 03-15-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
Pro Painter

You makin' brownies with the joint compound again?
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #5

Oh, yeah, I love brownies