Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

texturing over painted wallpaper

We had a major water leak in our master bath. The water damaged the wallpaper in the room so we chose to not replace the wallpaper but have it stripped off and paint the walls. The problem: THE PERSON WHO WAS TO TAKE DOWN THE WALLPAPER CONVINCED ME TO LET HER PAINT OVER THE PAPER SINCE IT WAS NOT COMING OFF. IT WAS HORRIBLE. She did a great job painting but the wallpaper underneath is the problem. There are bubbles and seam splitting. I am furious. Could I texture over the paper after repairing the bubbles and seams?

Last edited by beverly51; 02-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.
beverly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,364

Think about your post for a min.
It's failing, bubbling and coming off. How is the texture going to stay on the wall.
Rule #1 never ever paint wall paper.
Rile #2 read rule #1.
It's all going to have to come off, which now that's it's painted will be a real chore.
Please do not texture any walls. Look at some of the older post, there's hundreds of people asking how to remove it no one asking you to apply it.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

What she didn't do was to cut out any visibly loose areas- prime with something that would seal it and make a vapor barrier- - as in an oil primer or Gardz. The finish paint's moisture is going through and causing the bubbles.
So now it must be done that way. Cut out all bubs and loose stuff- and prime with one of those primers. After priming if you see any more loose spots- cut them out and spot prime them. then it needs to be mudded- perhaps skimmed if enough areas. This will test how good the seal is- It is not unusual for a few more to pop up. Sand, reprime and finish.
This is why it is worthwhile to really try and remove whenever at all possible. If it has that many bubs it is telling me it was a strippable paper.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,154

Don't get too upset with your contractor. The water is at fault here. That being said, a complete strip of the paper was the way to go on this project. There are times when it's really difficult to remove........but, in the end, it's the best option. As for texturing painted wallpaper........it is a RISKY PROPOSITION. When you apply that joint compound to the paper (even tho it's painted) the water from the mud sitting on the surface for such a long time will produce bubbles. In some cases, I have seen the mud actually make the paper wet enough to bring down whole sheets of paper. My advice is to get that paper off no matter what. If you have to tear out the walls and reapply new drywall, do it!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

You guys are always so quick to say rip out the sheetrock- it is the very last and worse option. If you know what you are doing almost always walls are saveable. the problems that come from a tear out and redoing the woodwork are much harder than repair- if you know how to do it. I do wish you and Joe would stop recommending that so quickly.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
You guys are always so quick to say rip out the sheetrock- it is the very last and worse option. If you know what you are doing almost always walls are saveable. the problems that come from a tear out and redoing the woodwork are much harder than repair- if you know how to do it. I do wish you and Joe would stop recommending that so quickly.
Brushjockey, I work for lots of people on a tight budget so I rarely rip out the sheetrock & replace; however, in this case with the paper painted & tightly adhered to the wall, my guess is they are going to struggle to get the paper off & if they do get it off, the walls will be damaged beyond normal repair. Figuring in time and the cost of drywall, I'm figuring the cost to be about equal either way. In this case why not opt for new drywall so you can start from scratch? Plus, you can correct any electrical/insulation/framing issues inside the wall while it's opened up.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

I could turn that around in a day and a half at a fraction of the cost.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #8

Don't forget that with water damage, there could be mold!