Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
girl luvs her pwr tools!

Rewards Points: 10

Textured walls needing new paint and I can't sand much

I'm trying to get textured ugly paint off walls. I was told that I can sand down the big peaks, then get a wall filler to smooth out the rest and paint over that. Can anyone give me the name of this wall filler? the Sherwin Williams paint people don't seem to know about it, and I don't know what to look for. Is it just Plaster of Paris or called something else? What brand would you "pros" suggest? :P

Allnewtoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

It depends in the texture
Sometimes having a go at it with scrapers and random orbital sanders will smooth it a bit
You'd probably still have to basically "skim coat" it with joint compound though

Not sure who told you about "wall filler", perhaps "skim coating" (a thin layer of joint compound" is what they mean
The folks at SW can help you with the tools, products, and advice on "skim coating"

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
girl luvs her pwr tools!

Thank you. I'm glad you responded before I went to the store. I was all set to buy Plaster of Paris thinking that was the stuff I was told about! I'll take the "Joint compound" advice. I've used it before, about two decades ago! but I think I remember the basics.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Your welcome!
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allnewtoday View Post
I'm trying to get textured ugly paint off walls. I was told that I can sand down the big peaks, then get a wall filler to smooth out the rest and paint over that. Can anyone give me the name of this wall filler? the Sherwin Williams paint people don't seem to know about it, and I don't know what to look for. Is it just Plaster of Paris or called something else? What brand would you "pros" suggest? :P
This is a big project but well worthwhile. I just did it to a room in my house. I did the first coat with Durabond setting compound - second coat with beadex lite joint compound, and now I am lightly skimming and touching up with beadex lite topping compound. Be sure to get a good set of knives,(you will need good ones to get the corners right) a decent pole sander and a trough - it could be a very tedious job without decent tools.

Side note: People who are expecting need to be MUCH, MUCH more aware of lead than other adults. If there is a chance that any sanding on your textured walls could stir up lead dust, I would seriously just leave them alone and paint over them.

Last edited by Windows; 04-09-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added side note.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
girl luvs her pwr tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
This is a big project but well worthwhile. I just did it to a room in my house. I did the first coat with Durabond setting compound - second coat with beadex lite joint compound, and now I am lightly skimming and touching up with beadex lite topping compound. Be sure to get a good set of knives,(you will need good ones to get the corners right) a decent pole sander and a trough - it could be a very tedious job without decent tools.

Side note: People who are expecting need to be MUCH, MUCH more aware of lead than other adults. If there is a chance that any sanding on your textured walls could stir up lead dust, I would seriously just leave them alone and paint over them.
That sounds like a LOT of work! wow. So the
Beadex compound is probably less porous than Durabond and that's why u used one then the other? is a trough to hold the compound in your hand while spreading? How long did it take your compounds to dry? I wonder if ProForm or Sheetrock compound will get the job done?

FYI, I'm using crappy behr all in one paint. I need two coats on normal walls (will never buy the stuff again) so will I need to put primer on the walls before the two coats or just two coats of All-in-one (primer/paint)?

Last edited by Allnewtoday; 04-09-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allnewtoday View Post
That sounds like a LOT of work! wow. So the
Beadex compound is probably less porous than Durabond and that's why u used one then the other? is a trough to hold the compound in your hand while spreading? How long did it take your compounds to dry? I wonder if ProForm or Sheetrock compound will get the job done?

FYI, I'm using crappy behr all in one paint. I need two coats on normal walls (will never buy the stuff again) so will I need to put primer on the walls before the two coats or just two coats of All-in-one (primer/paint)?
It has more to do with sand-ability. Coatings that are most easily sanded go on last. Troughs or mud pans keep the compound handy. A full skim coat usually dries overnight. You will definitely have to put a coat of primer/sealer on the walls before finish coating - possibly two coats of primer.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows For This Useful Post:
Allnewtoday (04-10-2010)