Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #1

Share |

Textured walls need a patch

I have the silica - sand, textured walls. I have recently changed a "hall" into a closet and added a door and framing. In doing so I added drywall so there is smooth wall there. Now I need to paint. Is it easier to Stucco, wallpaper, or try to match the texture?? I have been literally staring at the patch for 6 months...

kattcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

The sand texture ( I assume this is an older plaster house?) is a difficult one to copy. I have filtered sand, put in mud and used a float trowel and still can't get it.
If not like this - a pic would help.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
ltd

yea a pictures worth a thousand words .but if its just sand texture paint . go for it . lowes sells it in paint dept. it called sand texture about five dollars. mix it in your paint and roll it on ,remember you can always add more sand but you cant take it out again who knows with out seeing
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #4

it is an old plaster house with uneven walls so when we moved in I painted the room and added the sand to the paint (or course not considering any remodel). So I have the lavender paint all over the room with the sand texture. Then the two new door frames and a drywall patch that is smooth(ish). I will submit a picture later (I didnt know you could!!). I just dont know if I should just do some Stucco type cover and basically start over, or if the textured paintable wall paper would cover it, or if it was "easy" to try to add a little sand and match it (with like a small sponge or some other neat little trick)...
Basically my question - has anyone ever tried to "cover" sand texture - (I dont hate it or love it)
kattcs is offline   Reply With Quote