Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #1

Share |

Textured Walls and Cutting in the Trim

The walls are textured with sand paint in a swirl pattern. Normally I semi the outside edge of the trim prior to cutting in the wall paint. With this texture stuff that is not seeming to do so well. To get good coverage on the wall I need to brush up and down to get into all the bumps. I guess I could bite the bullet and cut that stupid little 3/4 inch with a brush with the trim paint. Is there an easier method to do this?????????

m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #2

M, You might try running a thin, tight bead of caulk right where the trim return meets the wall. That's what I do when I have rough cut line.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Joe, I did that already on all the door casings. Rubbed my poor fingers raw from the sand paint. The issue may not be the tight cut, but getting good coverage on the wall itself and trying to keep a straight line. The caulk line seems good but to get the coverage on the wall the cut line gets messed up. Do you have any recommendations on the application of the caulk that does not kill the fingers. I did use a slightly damp staining sponge (my normally tool for fingering out the caulk) but with the textured walls it just did not do as well as a raw finger.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #4

No other solutions, trust me I've left a lot of red DNA on caulk jobs in my day. When you're cutting in on textured surfaces, don't just go up and down. Go slower and vibrate your hand, almost like you have the shakes. Dance the brush back and forth. Straight up and down, as you would on smooth walls, is ineffective cutting on texture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-05-2011), m1951mm (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #5

I will drink more coffe and drink more Mountain Dew tomorrow while cutting in.

Thanks Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
ltd

you could run your hand up and down a few times with sand paper 1/4 inch from case work to knock off some of the sandtex .also thin your cutting paint with a little warter
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
NACE Coating Inspector

run a philips screwdriver around the edge of the casing to knock off some of the texture and apply enough pressure to indent a slight line/groove without breaking the drywall paper.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #8

You'll need to caulk "the trim at the walls and finger smooth it. Paint the trim first. Then using a 2 or 2 1/2" angle sash brush, cut the wall paint in. Makes it a lot easier.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You'll need to caulk "the trim at the walls and finger smooth it. Paint the trim first. Then using a 2 or 2 1/2" angle sash brush, cut the wall paint in. Makes it a lot easier.
Trapper, I would respectfully have to disagree with that assertion. Firstly, if you caulk out too far, you'll get a noticeable texture difference. Given the difficulty of covering texture at an edge, which I did just the other day painting already painted grasscloth up against stained trim, green over red, I think it would be far easier to apply a liberal cut, getting good wall coverage, lapping onto the return, and then dropping a trim line down the return. when I said run a tight caulk bead, I mean just enough to provide for a smooth line and maintain the 90 degree corner, no rounding or over extending on the wall. I certainly don't think you'll be able to get a good cut on the wall and maintain the uniformity of the trim line on a textured wall. Sorry, but I couldn't agree that would be easier. You're not going to be able to avoid having to cut the trim return to get the best job. Respectfully.
BTW, M, wrap your finger in a wet rag. I think that would be a better option that a wet sponge. Works for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
m1951mm (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #10

I tried the rag and after one swipe it was in shreds, must be cheap rags and very heavy textured walls. I will let you know which method is the fastest after todays work. Since I did the returns in semi first yesterday and then cut the walls and it was really slow going, I will try your suggestion of slopping the wall paint first and then cut the return in semi.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #11

I found that it is much more time effective to slather the wall paint first and then cut in the return on the casing. Just curious, how many brush loads does it take you all to do the cut on the casing. I normally have to load my brush twice to keep paint on the tip and with working on only 3/4 of an inch you sure cant use much pressure.

Thanks for the help with this issue!!!!!!!!

Mickey
Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #12

M, try running a brush full down the face of the casing right at the edge from top to bottom. Some will roll over the edge on to the return, which will be what eventually covers the return. Place your brush where you want it at the top of the return, on the "line". Then, holding it loosely, just allow your hand to drop. The brush should feed the rollover paint right to line.