Textured Paint On My Bedroom Walls - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Textured Paint on my bedroom walls

Hi, I'm very new to the whole DIY thing but I was excited until i choose to add textured paint to my bedroom walls. I applied the textured paint with the hopes that it would look like the pamphlet. . well it doesn't. So 2 years later, I'd like to have my walls 'smooth' again. I purchased paint remover and scraped some off (extremely tedious besides not knowing now if the wall underneath has lead). I've considered putting compound over the paint, but I am VERY NEW to the DIY approach and am afraid that i will not get it right i.e. not apply evenly, not sand evenly, etc. I desperately want smooth walls again and would like to avoid paying someone. Any suggestions for someone like me?

I really appreciate any input you share.

Frustrated in JC

Advertisement

kimble67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Oh boy, are the walls plaster or drywall?
Paint remover would be the last thing to put on either type of walls. It's only to be used on woodwork.
How thick is this texture?
If it's something like just sand added to the paint then a skim coat of thined drywall mud or going over the whole wall with 1/4 drywall are about your only choises.
There's been hundreds of people in the exact same situation on this site and many others trying to get texture off of ceilings and walls, yet people keep on doing it anyway.

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 03-05-2012 at 12:15 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Might be time to not consider the DIY thing- and get a pro who can make it look good easily for you.
Joe is right- no paint remover.
Not seeing it I would guess my approch would be scrape off high stuff, skim at least twice with taping compound, sand smooth , prime, look over and touch up mud, sand and spot prime those, 2 full coats of good paint.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I agree with the previous posts. If you are not broke then get some professionals out there to give you proposals for your project. Ask them questions, make sure they are licensed and insured and select the one that you felt the most comfortable with and seemed the most professional. Do not simply go on price as you often will get what you pay for.

For a pro they should make short work of your project. If it was me although I have not seen it my plan of attack would be much the same as Jockey's
Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

i believe the walls are drywall (i guess that answer alone says it all). I guess I will try a contactor then. Thanks for your responses.
kimble67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimble67 View Post
i believe the walls are drywall (i guess that answer alone says it all). I guess I will try a contactor then. Thanks for your responses.
If you are the type that enjoy diy then go for it. My earlier post was going off that you may not want to be up for the task.

Advertisement

Tags
textured paint