Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #1

Share |

Textured Paint in Bathroom Skylight.

Hello! My name is Hillary, and I'm obviously new to this forum. I've read it a lot for past projects I've worked on, but now I need to appeal directly to you all for advice.

I have a skylight in my very small bathroom. The inside walls of the skylight are coated in a textured paint. I am sprucing up the bathroom, and I would like to remove the textured paint. Some of the texture is actually already peeling (probably due to moisture and an inadequate bathroom fan, which is slated for replacement).

I've read a lot about this, and it seems like it is a tremendous headache. I am now trying to determine if I really want to attempt to remove this texture, or if I should just get used to it. My feeling is that since it is already peeling a bit, I should go ahead and fix it.

I'm looking for anyone who might be able to please comment on (1) methods (sanding vs. Crown Tuff Strip (or other) and scraping), (2) estimated time commitment, and (3) possibility of me completely screwing this up if I attempt to do it myself. I'm pretty good with home improvement stuff, I have the will and the desire, though not always the skills. Dangerous combination, I know.

Anyway, your comments would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Many thanks and best regards,

Hillary
Attached Thumbnails
Textured Paint in Bathroom Skylight.-img_1451.jpg  

Last edited by 811Gibbon; 09-08-2008 at 03:04 PM.
811Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #2

I would go to your local home center and buy:

1. A Sandvik paint scraper. The kind with the tungsten carbide blade. That paint scraper is sharp enough to scrape down that texture, but it's not so sharp as to start cutting into the plaster.

2. Some Norton "3X" Premium Aluminum Oxide sandpaper. This is a relatively new product from Norton Abrasives and consists of abrasive particles that are sharper and harder than their regular Aluminum Oxide abrasives, so they remove material faster and easier than other abrasives and the sandpaper lasts longer as well.

I'd say your best bet would be to try scraping down the texture first, and see how well that works. If it doesn't work well for you, then use that Premium sandpaper to sand the texture off the walls inside the skylight.

You might have to scrape and sand, and then apply a skim coat of joint compound over what you have to make it smooth and flat.

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your reply. I will give those things a try. I actually just got up on a ladder 10 minutes ago to check it out, and the texture is peeling off fairly easily (I suspect due to a combination of moisture and age). So, hopefully this won't be as terrible a project as I am envisioning.

Thanks again and best regards,

Hillary
811Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Whatamess

If it is texture that has never been painted you may be able to loosen the joint compound by damping it. Be careful and don't get the paper of the gypsum to wet.Try on a small area first.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Scrape and sand
No way to know how difficult it will be until you start
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote