Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #1

Share |

Textured pain removal

I am planning to move soon and have been looking at homes in the area. I've found one that I love, with 1 glaring exception.

The house is a bungalow with the upstairs rooms painted completely in textured paint. It's a bright white, which is fine, but it's got the texture like what is normally seen on ceilings. The bumpy kind.

The upstairs room, to me, is pretty typical of a bungalow or cape. The slanted ceiling going down into the wall. One side is completely open space, the other room is closed in with a door. From the top of the stairs, everything that isn't window or wood is painted exactly the same!

Now....is this going to be a major project to remove? The paint job is recent, for the sale of the house, so it's very fresh. As this would be my room and workroom, it's a deal breaker.

The house is in the south, and was built in the 1930s with, I think all the original walls.

Anyone have an idea how major a project this would be? Would I be crazy to take this on? Any suggestions to make it easier?

Thanks!!
Cindy

CindySue54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #2

Textured pain removal

One way to eliminate the texture walls would be to hang 3/8's sheetrock over the existing drywall, if it is drywall, a house from the 30's would more than likely have plaster. you could add in your sales agreement to have an allowance to have this room professionaly done as well. Though i must add that without pictures i could be visualizing this wrong.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #3

Textured pain removal

Thanks....I thought of covering the walls, but really would prefer to not do that. Can it be sanded? This was my first thought.

You probably are imagining it right. I don't know how to put pics here, but here's a document I created that shows some of the pictures I took: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df9j3sqv_0rztr8c

All of that white is the textured paint!! It's 2 rooms, one with a door, the other wide open space, like what I think of with a traditional Cape. The rooms are measured as 10X10, but i don't think that's the actual floor measurement. Due to the slanted walls I'm told they can only measure where the ceiling is a certain height....they certainly look bigger than 10X10!

Think of ceilings....that bumpy texture they use....not just the finer sandy stuff, but the stuff that looks like little balls are mixed in.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #4

Textured pain removal

The texture can be removed...but it will be difficult. It looks like you have the acoustical ceiling texturing. And if it's been painted it can be pain to remove. I had a house that had texturing on it that I no longer wanted and ended up scraping the walls with a paint scraper, the 2-1/2 to 3" wide carbide scraper.

It was slow, dusty and dirty and did I say slow? With the texturing removed, a quick skim coat smoothed the drywall right up, primed and painted. The skim coat filled in the small divots that pulled out with the scraper.

When finished, the walls looked brand new. If you scrape, be very careful wherever there's a corner, the carbide scraper will poke a hole right through the paper.

If it's not painted, lightly spraying the area with water, and scraping with a 4" mud knife will remove a lot of the texturing. Light sanding will remove the rest.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #5

Textured pain removal

As RippySkippy said, if there was not any paint over the texture you could spray some water on them, and then scrape off. Since it is painted the other soulution would be to sand them down and skim over. Now the latter is a big hassle. For one important thing to consider is that they used asbestos in the texture up in to the late 70's early 80's. If this is home is dated as you said, then there is a good chance that it does contain asbestos depending on when it was applied.
Out of all the options the easiest would be to place thin sheetrock over the existing walls. Tape and mud, mud some more, then pick your colors, and apply.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #6

Textured pain removal

OK....so I went back to the house and got a good look at the walls.

Yea....I'm not buying this place!!

It appears to be part of the plaster on the walls! Downstairs there's a support/post that appears to have been covered by the same stuff and then sanded down. It's not very good looking. I tried in several places, where I could see an edge (hidden!!) and tried to see if it would flake off. It won't, and it doesn't seem to be just a finish.

The Realtor asked the owners what it was and they didn't know, saying it's been there the whole time they've owned the house and painted several times. It appears to be a gloss paint on it, but again owner didn't know if it was oil or latex.

Thanks for all the help here!! I have no problem doing some minor repairs, but this kind of a job is just too much! I know I could sand it, but I think I'd have to get a professional sander (I have one of those little hand held pad sanders) and it would take a long time, given the amount of space involved. And replacing or redoing the walls is not something I want to get into. I've repaired holes in walls, and even partial walls....but the thoughts of doing this much just isn't what I want to get into.

Boy, have I seen some "fixer uppers"!!! One house had a hole behind each door from the doorknob. There were also at least 2 holes in walls that appeared to be from someone punching the wall. And there was a hole in the master bedroom door that was big enough to put your head through!! I think some violent people lived here!!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Textured pain removal

Often that type of wall texture was done to cover up extremely poor quality wall surfaces, meaning once the task of texture removal is done, there will often be a fair amount of repair before the wall can be painted

It's not that it's not DIYable, it's just that it would be a fair sized project
Not scrape one day, paint the next....
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #8

Textured pain removal

yea, that's exactly my thoughts. In the areas where it's been sanded, which is a post, it's not at all smooth, which is why I believe it's more than just textured paint. The rooms are each 10X10!! That's a LOT of work!!

I've taken the place off my list, but still looking for a place that needs some minor work.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #9

Textured pain removal

Thanks for the update. And i hope that you end up in just what you are looking for, it is after all a buyers market right now.