Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Share |

Texture woes

Previous owners were drunk, I think coz look what we're up against here:

We weren't planning on repainting the ceiling, just the walls & trim. I've got a pretty steady hand but where texture meets texture is always a challenge. I know I can do better than these bozos did but dou you have any tips? Is caulking between the join a big no-no?

Last edited by kverde18; 07-27-2012 at 11:19 AM.
kverde18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Texture woes

caulking can help a lot. it will leave you a clean edge between the popcorn and the wall. If you think you can do better, do it. i can tell the texture applied was a box mud and hopper based on its consistency.

I also recommend before you paint, go around the room and check for stray popcorn balls on the walls around the top and just scrape them off. I imagine you plan on painting the popcorn as well?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #3

Texture woes

Would I have to spray the ceiling? I don't wanna mess with a paint sprayer but if I could brush/roll I'd be up for it. It's pretty dingy in some areas. Will caulk shrink though?
kverde18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #4

Texture woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kverde18 View Post
Would I have to spray the ceiling? I don't wanna mess with a paint sprayer but if I could brush/roll I'd be up for it. It's pretty dingy in some areas. Will caulk shrink though?
Honestly a sprayer is better. You can roll on the paint, but popcorn is nasty. If you do it wrong it can start to come off. I recommend honestly with popcorn, to hire a pro to come in and paint the stuff, that way the liablility is on him. Get a signed contract. Offer to supply the paint and even ask what they will recommend. Sure you can do it yourself, but if you botch up popcorn ceiling, you are in for a mess both popcorn and money wise as well the stuff is getting harder to find.

apply the caulk and buy a decent brand at least. for latex paints of course. let is sit for a bit for painting it. like everything caulk may crack a little depending on conditions.

If you choose to roll on the popcorn, you can buy a loop roller, or a regular roller. You can only go over the popcorn ONE TIME. do not roll on forward and bring roller back over or you could have problems assuming this popcorn has never been painted.

Just some words of advice... I know this is a diy forum, but somethings shouldnt be diy. painting popcorn in my opinion, and i used to do this for a living, is one of these things you shouldnt do yourself.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Texture woes

Obviously paint the ceiling first and then use a nice brush to cut in the wall color. It looks like you will be alright with the wall texture and a quality 2.5-3" angled sash brush as your photo shows a nice wall edge. Obviously painters tape does not work with texture and it just slowed me down anyhow.

Ditto everything Stoner says about popcorn. I hated painting it but fortunately the vintage homes I worked on I did not have a lot of it. I encountered it most helping out real estate people move newer homes. Most of the time it was used to skip mudding and taping ceilings as a cost saving procedure. Usually the crappiest of ceiling paint got mixed with texture and sprayed on non-primed drywall. It is amazing most of it stuck at all!

Spraying would be an option but you have to mask everything off so rolling it might make more sense. For something like I think I see, I would use a heavy nap roller cover to get the texture in one pass---1" or even 1.5". However, heed Stoner's advice and add mine to it. Do not try to go over your work but with one pass of the roller or the surface tension may start pulling the texture off in sheets. One reason to spray would be to avoid the tension. And remember you will need a good sturdy extension pole as a heavy nap roller cover is going to get heavy once full of paint.

Last edited by user1007; 07-27-2012 at 05:27 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #6

Texture woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
For something like I think I see, I would use a heavy nap roller cover to get the texture in one pass---1" or even 1.5". However, heed Stoner's advice and add mine to it. Do not try to go over your work but with one pass of the roller or the surface tension may start pulling the texture off in sheets. One reason to spray would be to avoid the tension. And remember you will need a good sturdy extension pole as a heavy nap roller cover is going to get heavy once full of paint.
You have received excellent advice from STONER and SDSESTER.
My 2 cents: If it was me rolling, I would prime the popcorn with oil base primer. Do not use primer labeled as quick or fast drying. Thin the primer down a bit with mineral spirits so it rolls on easy using a big nap cover. Its going to be splatter-city so wear a cap and long sleeves and rub a little Vaseline on your face before rolling.
Good luck!

Last edited by dogris; 07-28-2012 at 07:37 AM.
dogris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #7

Texture woes

Note: Most popcorn ceilings soak up the paint. Plan on buying lots of paint.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
user1007 (07-28-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #8

Texture woes

It appears (to me at least) that it has already been painted as the popcorn is not well defined, but "molded" looking. Try painting in a small section to test, it looks well attached.

Gary
Old 07-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Texture woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
It appears (to me at least) that it has already been painted as the popcorn is not well defined, but "molded" looking. Try painting in a small section to test, it looks well attached.

Gary

I agree
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #10

Texture woes

I would have to try and scrape that popcorn.
MEE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #11

Texture woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Note: Most popcorn ceilings soak up the paint. Plan on buying lots of paint.

I would not worry about lots of paint. the goal is to just give it a fresh look. One coat usually will do fine and give the ceiling a fresh look. Just my opinion.