Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Texture of paint patch NOT matching

I live in a (cheaply) painted apartment. They have painted brick exterior walls. In the heat/humidity the paint is bubbling! I had a Command Hook holding a light-weight picture and it pulled/stretched the paint right off the brick!

Now I need to patch the missing paint that peeled off. I have the exact color to match the paint. I sanded the edges flat and painted it.

But now, the texture does not match. Tried spackling... Same thing, no match. For some reason, the texture under the paint that pulled off is different.

How can I get the small paint patch to match the brick around it?
-is there something I can put on & paint over?
-could I remove all the paint off that one brick?

-I attached a close up and a wider shot to show the rest (the wall has lots of patches but the texture on those matches)
Attached Thumbnails
Texture of paint patch NOT matching-photo1.jpg   Texture of paint patch NOT matching-photo2.jpg  

DIYsingleMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Finisher

You have a lot of film buildup on the brick and just one or two new coats on the smooth patch - that is why the texture is different. Best you can do is to use a primer and a small roller (like a wooster) and roll out the area a few times (letting it dry first before applying another coat). Then roll the same area with the topcoat and the texture should blend in better.

Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rcon For This Useful Post:
DIYsingleMom (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Prime the current surface with a bonding primer.

Get a small container of drywall compound and a sponge. See if you can stipple on enough texture to blend in with several layers of compound. You could try rolling the compound with the mini roller suggested too.

Prime again and paint.

A better alternative would be to mix your own drywall compound. Use dry mix 20 minute compound. It is sometimes known as hot mud. It is not expensive and probably will cost you no more than a small container of pre-mixed compound. Problem is as far as I know it only comes in large sacks of which you need a cupful or two at most. I guess you could donate the rest to Habitat or something.

If you would have swung by a paint store early in the morning when I was still working and picking up paint orders I would have gladly slipped you a little bit. I suspect most painters would step in and help you. Most probably have some handy though it might not be 20 minute.

The nice thing about dry mix is you can control the consistency and texture.

Last edited by user1007; 07-24-2012 at 07:29 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

By the way, those command hooks are pure evil! I never did encounter a single one that came loose the way it was supposed to and that did not cause damage!!

As a painter, I much preferred holes to adhesives. I can fix holes. Adhesives are always a pain.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #5

Thanks so much! I will try the drywall compound. I think the roller will make a difference. The closer I look the more I can see that texture that you get with rollers.

Yes--- Command Hooks are evil. It was the only thing that I could use on the brick walls. This wall is in my daughter's room. The master bedroom's brick wall is even worse ...the Command Hooks wouldnt even stay on (even with nothing on it!).

I will post a picture once I get a chance to make the patch!
DIYsingleMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Even when renting, I always used a masonry bit and put an anchor in place when hanging things. It was easy enough to fix the hole so nobody else would notice when done.

There are also masonry hooks with a cluster of nail heads on the back of the head. They pound in place and you will never see the holes when you remove them.

You might think about brick clips if the hooks will end up in the right place. They are totally non-invasive and just use spring tension to grip the top and bottom edge of a standard brick. There are different varieties.

Last edited by user1007; 07-24-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Added Spring Hook Picture