DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

tarps

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Brushjockey 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to know a good quality canvas tarp from a wimpy one in the package at the store? The last one I bought was fairly heavy but it was so loosely woven that it quickly ripped apart.
thanks

#4 ·
Personally, I prefer butyl (rubber) backed cloths. They're a bit heavier, but they're more flexible and shape-able and they grab on tile, marble and wood, and on smooth surfaces they don't walk as much. Nothing scares me more than customers coming down a set of hardwood steps with a cloth dropcloth on them. Icy conditions ahead. They're water resistant but not water proof. Stuff will eventually soak through, as I learned the hard way with a spill one day.

#5 ·
I had some nice hall runner size ones made from awning company and sail maker remnants. Both were happy to sew some seams in them for me as they were getting at least a few bucks out of something they would have tossed.

Paint store is your best bet although I have had some luck at places like Big Lots. You have to watch it though as the ones they sell on a regular basis are rather worthless. They have pretty good prices on reinforced plastic tarps with grommets and so forth that you can put under canvas if you are working with a material that might bleed through.

Sometimes do it yourself moving supply places have decent tarps cheap.

If you are not sure? Don't be afraid to tear open the package and feel the cloth. Places that raise doubt as to quality should really have one open or a section of the canvas on display.

#6 ·
There really are lots of types of dropcloths.
I think I have at least 5 different types- all good for particular uses.
The butyl ones ( which can be found at the box stores..) are pretty good all around tarps. Then there is a few that 3m makes that don't slip, or canvas ones , and I have a few that are some hybrid paper with a plastic backing that are tougher then they look..

Depends on you're need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.