Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
DIYer

Share |

Tar bleeding through paint on bathroom ceiling

When I moved into my house, the former owners left the bathroom disgusting. Smoking had left tar deposits all over the ceiling.
I cleaned the ceiling, painted THREE coats of Killz latex and then a few coats of color (unfortunately Behr flat, yes I'm stupid, didn't know any better at the time)

Fast froward to today: the tar is back! It is bleeding through the paint and disgustingly dripping down on to the floor. The tar spots on the ceiling are oily and stay wet

How should I proceed from here to fix this?

I think repainting may be complicated by this being an active bathroom for 3 adults. The bathroom unfortunately also does not have an exhaust fan, just a window

dwoloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #2

Kilz latex will do little to nothing for stains. You need BIN.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
DIYer

Thank you
Alright, I'll pick some of that up. Just for clarification, it's the B-I-N primer sealer, yes? This http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Do you think that this being an actively used bathroom will pose a problem with the paint not being able to sufficiently cure?

Are there any flat paints you know of that are bathroom safe? ie OK to use in a moisture rich environment

Thanks again
dwoloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Zinsser BIN will seal the stains like nothing else and dry very quickly since it's alcohol based. You could also use the Zinsser Permawhite product for the bathroom paint. It's a finish coat with a mildewcide in it.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #5

totally agree, Use BIN. Dont be put off when using the product. Its a very watery product and puts off a pretty strong smell while applying. Put an exhaust fan in your windows while you use this stuff.
AdamBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #6

Yep, the alcohol (shellac) based stuff just as you linked to. I am guessing you got douped by the "Stain Killer" on the can of latex primer but as you can see it is clearly not. Just to be safe, once you put on a good coat, imediately wrap the roller setup up in plastic and wait 30-45 minutes and put another coat on. You could use a couple cans of the spray stuff instead but make sure no matter which for you use it covers well. If you get a gallon of the stuff,have them throw it on the shaker for a few, especially if you grab it off the shelf.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote