Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Cool

Taping suggestions

I am interested in improving my taping skills. No one has taught me how to tape and there is no literature on taping that I have found, except a few small sections in other books on painting. I tape to the best of my ability, but when I pull the tape up my paint job still looks wavy. This happens even when I caulk first, and then tape. Can anyone offer some suggestions, or is there some 'taping' bible that I don't know about? I figure its one of those things that improves over time and with trial/error. Also, everywhere I see they say use blue tape but I was trained to always use plain masking tape. I think the regular masking tape pulls up easier.

Last edited by misfitz; 07-01-2009 at 11:29 PM.
misfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 0

Taping suggestions

When applying the tape.....apply one end, hold and pull tightly enough so there is no slack in tape,then stick the other end. Rub finger firmly over the applied tape so there are absolutely no gaps or bubbles. This should provide for a clean line.

The 3M Blue Painters Tape is the best on the market. It is the easist to remove. Regular masking tape has tougher adhesive making it more difficult to use and especially to remove. Regular masking tape will pull the color or stain from a wooden surface being taped. Also, if taping a painted surface, masking tape is more likely to pull off the paint.

Actually, in a lot of areas it takes less time to use a high quality angle brush vs. tape. Or you can use a "guide" which is actually a wide straight edge (similar to a large putty knife). If using a guide, wipe clean often.

saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote