Taping Already Painted Wall Trouble! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Taping already painted wall trouble!

I'm painting two walls two different colors, and they're meeting in the corner. I painted the darker wall already, I need to tape to do the lighter color wall....how long do I need to let the dark wall dry before I put tape on it (blue tape)?

Hoping for an answer as soon as possible!

Advertisement

loretta_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,304

Tough one to answer because different kinds of paint dry differently. I like to wait at least 72 hours before doing any masking. What you can do is buy a great cut-in brush and just cut a nice straight line right down the wall in the corner with your other color. Yes, it takes a steady hand and some patience, but it is very doable and you won't have to wait 2 or 3 days.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Use orange core blue ( sensitive) - not all blue is the same. What paint?
usually a couple of hours, lightly put on the blue, paint the edge with the first color, let that dry a bit ( that makes any bleed happen with the same color) and then finish. A fan on it will also speed things up.

72 hrs is a DIY wait- and thats not a bad thing. As a pro I don't have 72 hrs, so i find a way.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

get some low tack mask tape 1/2 inch press in to corner make contack but dont press to hard .i have done it in a little as 2 hours . but if you wait till next day you'll be golden
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #5

Thank you all!!! I am using Olympic paint, eggshell finish. And the tape I have is Scotch 3M Blue Painter's Tape;original multi-surface. I do not want to wait 72 hrs. I may use a fan to speed up the process or (if I haven't fallen to pieces by then) use the cutter brush to do the straight line. Thanks again :-)
Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Loretta, if you choose to go freehand, it's really not as hard as you might think. I have an online tutorial with tips that may be of some help. Good Luck.
Go to my painting guide and look for the link on the right, painting without tape.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by loretta_ View Post
Thank you all!!! I am using Olympic paint, eggshell finish. And the tape I have is Scotch 3M Blue Painter's Tape;original multi-surface. I do not want to wait 72 hrs. I may use a fan to speed up the process or (if I haven't fallen to pieces by then) use the cutter brush to do the straight line. Thanks again :-)
That is the wrong tape to use here, you really need the sensitive orange core blue tape.
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
loretta_ (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #8

Thank you Chrisn I was looking for the "correct" tape.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

The new frog tape is nice too. You will be surprised at the line you can achieve with a nice quality 2.5 or 3 inch angled sash brush though.

The tape Chris mentions will work but I would be nervous putting it on to quickly on a surface painted eggshell with something like Olympic.

If you are uncertain of your painting skills a nice long straight edge you can use as a masking tool would work too since our concern is a right angle corner? Nice long drywall knife or something should work? Just wipe it off between brush strokes.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 05-30-2011 at 11:47 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (05-30-2011)