Tape Vs. Cutting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tape vs. Cutting

Helping a friend paint her new apartment and my cutting skills are definitely gone by now (haven't painted often since college). Is there a unanimous agreement here on which tape to use? I was thinking of frog tape.

Is there good technique to apply the tape so that the results lines look professional (ie no paint bleeding etc)?

Advertisement

jharris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Tape vs. Cutting

Frog tape is good, or the 3m with edge lock.

Make sure the surface your taping is clean and Completely dry. I will sometimes wipe with an alcohol rag prior to taping and let dry. If there is any moisture at all the tape doesn't want to stick. Even high humidity can give you problems.

After the tape is on, take a putty knife or something similar and run it along the leading edge of the tape (the edge that will get painted). This pushes it down right at the edge and helps ensure no bleed through.

A brand new putty knife doesn't work as well because they can be sharp and tend to tear the tape. Use an old worn one or a plastic one. A butter knife might work also.

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
DrHicks (04-20-2014), Gymschu (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,670

Tape vs. Cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris79 View Post
Helping a friend paint her new apartment and my cutting skills are definitely gone by now (haven't painted often since college). Is there a unanimous agreement here on which tape to use? I was thinking of frog tape.

Is there good technique to apply the tape so that the results lines look professional (ie no paint bleeding etc)?
Frog tape or blue tape but both are kinda pricy. I personally use 3M 2020 which is a beige regular masking tape. The drawback for it is you can't leave it on like the frog or blue and you can't put it over paint that is not cured. You don't say what your painting but I would try the cutting in without tape. But what ever tape you choose, and on 2nd thought don't use the beige, take the round handle of your putty knife or something similar and run it over the edge of your tape this will stop the bleeding.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #4

Tape vs. Cutting

LOL I guess we were typing at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 610

Tape vs. Cutting

Good luck with taping it, going to make more of a mess, end up peeling off areas that where already painted.
A quality 2-1/2" sash brush and some practice will make it go much faster, and less clean up.
DIYRemodeler (04-17-2014), garlicbreath (04-21-2014), Gymschu (04-14-2014), PatsPainting (04-20-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,460

Tape vs. Cutting

One way to help avoid the bleeding problem is to use an extra coat and a drier brush. i.e. dip your brush in the paint, and then scrape it off really well. That will leave only a small bit of paint inside the bristles. Now there isn't enough paint to bleed under the tape. This creates a thin film of paint, so you'll need an extra coat. However, you can paint very very fast with a "dry" brush and tape down.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 103

Tape vs. Cutting

Are you trying to tape a sharp line where two colors meet? Or are you just trying to keep paint off trim??

Skip the tape and use your cutting skills if you are trying to keep trim clean.

If you are trying to tape a sharp line where two colors meet, then tape a line and paint the edge of tape with the existing color where the line needs to be. This will let the color bleed under the tape and seal it. After it is dry ( give it plenty of time!!) then paint with the new color.

I get a razor sharp line even on textured walls every time with this technique!

Good luck!
bilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #8

Tape vs. Cutting

Thanks for the tips guys I used nearly all of them. Round 2 tomorrow
jharris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #9

Tape vs. Cutting

If you have left the tape on for multiple coats, or let one coat dry completely, it helps to score the line at the edge of the tape before you pull it. This will help ensure a straight line and keep the paint from lifting on the wall next to the tape.

It's generally not an issue with flat paint, but with latex enamels the paint film doesn't always break evenly at the tape joint, and can leave a jagged line when you pull the tape off.

I use a small snap off razor for this. Just a gentle scoring will ensure that the paint film breaks evenly.

Last edited by Jmayspaint; 04-20-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #10

Tape vs. Cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris79 View Post

jharris79:
Abatix has all kinds of masking tape that you could use that are priced reasonably. Here's a link to one for example: ["abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=TAPEMSK1&ca tlist=31" 513 Utility Masking Tape 1"x60yd] I would suggest that you use a five-in-one tool to run on top of the paint so that the paint doesn't drip between a wall and baseboard. I hope this helps!
jenfour6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Tape vs. Cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Good luck with taping it, going to make more of a mess, end up peeling off areas that where already painted.
A quality 2-1/2" sash brush and some practice will make it go much faster, and less clean up.
That is my experience....in it's limited form. I find you spend more time taping than if you take your time and do it by hand,

The only time I tape is if it's a vertical wall and you will be able to see the line up close.

I have also had good luck using a drywall mud knife as a 'shield'.

Or....just do like me and paint everything the same color....problem solved. If people notice....serve them another glass of wine or a beer.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #12

Tape vs. Cutting

I usually only tape the tops of the baseboards to keep drips or splatter off of it.

On a recent job with dark colors and white trim and cabinets I thought I would try taping some of the vertical lines on the cabinets and trim to see if I could get super crisp straight lines. I used yellow frog tape and spent about as much time taping a bathroom vanity and a few casings as I would have spent cutting them in.

The lines next to the cabinets did turn out really well, but the lines at the casings were just OK and I ended up cutting them in again anyway.

It sounds kinda weird but sometimes the straitest crispest looking paint lines are not quite straight. Almost nothing in a house is perfectly straight, and it often takes a little fudging here and there to get the appearance of a perfectly straight line.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:53 AM   #13

Tape vs. Cutting

When using Frogtape or 3M tape with EdgeLock, you can take a lightly damp rag and run it along the edge to be painted. This will activate the edgelock immediately and you won't have to worry about any bleedthrough.

This is actually the only way to get them to activate if you were using oil based paint.
Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #14

Tape vs. Cutting

I use the 3M blue tape on most my projects and have never wanted to pay the extra for the frog tape. I have tried the trick of sticking it to my pants first and it does work as long as nothing else sticks to the tape and messes up the "edge".
Artash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #15

Tape vs. Cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artash View Post
I use the 3M blue tape on most my projects and have never wanted to pay the extra for the frog tape. I have tried the trick of sticking it to my pants first and it does work as long as nothing else sticks to the tape and messes up the "edge".
HUH

Advertisement

Last edited by ToolSeeker; 04-29-2014 at 11:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
chrisn (04-29-2014)