This Is Taking A LOT Of Paint... - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

This is taking a LOT of paint...

I start painting on the nursery this week. I'm using a satin latex, and applying with a 9" roller with 3/8 nap. This is being applied over drywall covered with an eggshell latex.

I've got two coats on one wall completed, which is about 90 square feet. The coats went on easy enough (about 48 hours between the first and second coat), and I've got nice good coverage and even color after the second coat.

My only concern is that this took about 2/3 of a gallon of paint. My last painting project was nearly identical... I painted an adjacent bedroom with satin latex using a 9" roller with 3/8 nap and covered the same eggshell paint. That project was a lot more economical on paint. If I used 2/3 a gallon of paint to put two coats on a 90 square foot wall, that means I'm getting 270 square feet/gallon on this latest project.

Am I using the wrong roller? That's the only thing I can think of... When I finished the first coat, it looked pretty typical (decent coverage, but obvious that a second coat was needed). Maybe my expectations are unrealistic, but I was thinking I should be getting at least 350 sq ft/gallon.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

I do not want to open a can of worms, but what paint are you using?
Attached Images

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I do not want to open a can of worms, but what paint are you using?
I'm using Valspar Ultra Premium satin finish: http://www.valsparpaint.com/en/find-...a-premium.html

This is the same stuff I used to paint my daughter's bedroom (the previous project that I described) last year and I had no problems/complaints with it, so I bought it again. Maybe that wasn't a good idea?

The total wall space in the nursery is right around 400 sq feet (subtracting for doorways and windows), so I figured 2 gallons would do it. Based on the coverage rate I got on the first wall, I'm starting to think that I am doing something wrong.

I've never had to do this before on painted walls, but should I put primer over the eggshell on the remaining walls before I proceed? It would be some extra work, but a gallon of primer is lot cheaper than another gallon of the satin latex.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

What does the can say the coverage should be? Most I have looked at lately say 250 - 400 sq ft/gal. I usually take the lowest number for the first coat and highest number for the second coat to figure quantity needed. 270 is right in the ballpark for a first coat.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
What does the can say the coverage should be? Most I have looked at lately say 250 - 400 sq ft/gal. I usually take the lowest number for the first coat and highest number for the second coat to figure quantity needed. 270 is right in the ballpark for a first coat.
The can simply says "up to 400 sq ft." If the 270# is a realistic value, then I can live with it. I was just surprised because this was a bit different than my previous experience.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashley View Post
The can simply says "up to 400 sq ft." If the 270# is a realistic value, then I can live with it. I was just surprised because this was a bit different than my previous experience.
I dunno, I've been taking those numbers on the cans as pretty optimistic lately. I've got some Benjamin Moore thats 15 years old and the can says 300 to 500 sq ft/ gal and, by golly, was able to get every bit of that. I used the min/max formula to compute what paint I needed and had 3 gallons left over on my house. I just switched to Sherwin Williams procoat for some cabinets and it says 250 - 400 sq ft per gallon and after the first batch of cabinets I figure I'll be lucky to get the 250. I'm thinkin the "up to 400 sq ft" means you're d*** sure not gonna get any more out of it.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,278

There have been times in my 35 years of painting that I have had the problem you describe clashley. Usually I attribute it to the roller cover. Most of the time I use Wooster or Purdy roller covers but every so often I buy an off brand. What would be wrong with that, you say? Well, believe it or not, some covers soak up paint differently and then don't lay the paint on the wall quite as efficiently. By that I mean that more paint seems to stay soaked up into the cover rather than releasing onto the wall. I can't explain it, it really doesn't make a lot of sense, but, I have had it happen. Now, I just stick with Wooster roller covers, I know the nuances of using them & I get the same consistent coverage each and every time I paint.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
There have been times in my 35 years of painting that I have had the problem you describe clashley. Usually I attribute it to the roller cover. Most of the time I use Wooster or Purdy roller covers but every so often I buy an off brand. What would be wrong with that, you say? Well, believe it or not, some covers soak up paint differently and then don't lay the paint on the wall quite as efficiently. By that I mean that more paint seems to stay soaked up into the cover rather than releasing onto the wall. I can't explain it, it really doesn't make a lot of sense, but, I have had it happen. Now, I just stick with Wooster roller covers, I know the nuances of using them & I get the same consistent coverage each and every time I paint.

Funny you should mention that... I did some digging in my workshop (because I never take out the trash).... my last project was done with Purdy roller covers.... this time, I'm using Wooster.

Aside from the advice here, I've also spoke with a couple of friends in town and the general consensus seems to be nothing is wrong, I just probably need some more paint.

Now that I feel better, it's time for beer and football
Old 10-16-2011, 05:13 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashley View Post
Funny you should mention that... I did some digging in my workshop (because I never take out the trash).... my last project was done with Purdy roller covers.... this time, I'm using Wooster.

Aside from the advice here, I've also spoke with a couple of friends in town and the general consensus seems to be nothing is wrong, I just probably need some more paint.

Now that I feel better, it's time for beer and football
Now you got it. Most likely was just the difference in the covers, as gym said they are all slightly different. Next time ty a 1/2 inch, it will apply much easier
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

400 sq.ft/gal @ what mils??? This paint is 36% solids, so it should cover 577 sq.ft/gal @ 1 mil dry film thickness (dft). The 400 sq.ft/gal quoted on the can is @ 1.5 mil dft. Im going to have to say that applying this paint with a 3/8" nap full strength without thinner would be around 2 mils without factoring in any waste. A gallon of 100% solids paint will cover 1604 sf.ft @ 1 mil dft. 1604 x .36 = 577 sqft/gal. 577 / 2 mils = 288 sq.ft/gal - 10% waste = 259 sq.ft/gal. If you are getting 270 sq.ft out of a can then you are right where you need to be for each coat.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
clashley (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
400 sq.ft/gal @ what mils??? This paint is 36% solids, so it should cover 577 sq.ft/gal @ 1 mil dry film thickness (dft). The 400 sq.ft/gal quoted on the can is @ 1.5 mil dft. Im going to have to say that applying this paint with a 3/8" nap full strength without thinner would be around 2 mils without factoring in any waste. A gallon of 100% solids paint will cover 1604 sf.ft @ 1 mil dft. 1604 x .36 = 577 sqft/gal. 577 / 2 mils = 288 sq.ft/gal - 10% waste = 259 sq.ft/gal. If you are getting 270 sq.ft out of a can then you are right where you need to be for each coat.
Yeah!! That's right. That's the ticket.
You stole my thunder Mustang:la ughing:

Where you been? You're the tech guy, we need you.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Yeah!! That's right. That's the ticket.
You stole my thunder Mustang:la ughing:

Where you been? You're the tech guy, we need you.
Thanks Joe. I took a little vacation to Hawaii for a few weeks. Now I'm back to the grind again.

Advertisement

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote