Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #1

Share |

Swollen Doors

It is now turning to winter in the Northeast and my bedroom doors have shed the summer humidity are finally closing properly. What can I do to keep them like this for next summer? The doors were pre-primed but the bottoms were cut to fit. I did prime the bottoms but maybe not enough?? Should I reprime and paint them? Will that help seal them for the summer?
Thank you for any help.

ktnyc00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

Swollen Doors

Any wood door needs to be primed and painted two coats on all sides, including the tops and bottoms.
Primer is porous.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

Swollen Doors

Thanks Joe. Should I prime and paint the hinge mortises as well?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

Swollen Doors

There not going to be an issue.
It's where the end grains of the rails and stiles that are important. That like blood vain in a tree and will act like a straw sucking in the moisture.
What often happen when a door starts sticking on a real solid wood door is we all put of fixing it and just keep yanking on it.
At some point the rails come loose from the stiles, the door starts to sag and will always be trouble.
There is a cheap way to fix it without buying a new door.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

Swollen Doors

Thanks again. I know for a fact that I did not paint the bottoms. I'm gonna reprime and paint (2x) the tops and bottoms like I did the front and back. Hopefully that'll do the trick.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #6

Swollen Doors

It may help, but if you see the seams opening up where the rails and stiles meet it's time for plan B.