Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
lkb

Share |

SW Resilience Exterior on shutters--still sticky!

I'm looking for some help here about how to deal with painting my shutters: the paint is still not totally dry after about 8 months!

Here's the background: I bought new, custom made, red cedar shutters last summer. I primed them with an oil-based primer from SW, as recommended for cedar. I did a fair bit of reading about different paint brands (we were tackling multiple paint projects in our new house) and everyone seems to vote hands-down for SW and BM; there's no BM anywhere near me, so I went with SW. And the people there recommended Resilience for my exterior paint jobs... fine.

So, toward the end of last summer, I started spraying the paint onto the shutters. I wasn't able to finish them last summer, so they sat in the basement (where we have a dehumidifier) all winter. But I brought them out to finish them today (like 8 months later), and the paint is still sticky! For the most part, it's not SOFT... I can't gouge it with a fingernail or anything, but it sticks to any surface that it's leaning against. I'd think after about a month of drying on our porch and then half a year in the basement, the paint would be dry. But no.

Also, there are some spots--around the textured/joined areas of the shutter--where the paint actually looks like it's peeled. Not badly, but there's a crack and the paint has lifted up a bit.

So, now what do I do? The guy at SW (who has been really helpful all along) suggested just letting them dry in the sun for a couple of days, but I can't imagine that it's going to dry any more than it has over the past 8 months. I'm thinking of trying a different paint over top of this soft layer (after sanding down the peeling parts)--would that work? What paint should I use? Oil-based or still latex?

I talked to a neighbor who said that he'd heard of other people having problems with tackiness with SW paint, and that he'd encountered it with SW paint on some of his windows. But he solved it with a Valspar paint. And according to consumer reports, Valspar and Behr exterior paints are in the top 3.

Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate any help. I can't say I'm excited at the idea of stripping these shutters back down to wood, but I also don't want to walk out next summer and find all of the paint bubbling and peeling off of the shutters either.

Thanks in advance!
lkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #2

Consumer reports can take thier ratings and stick them....

Behr is about the worst paint on the market and they are charging mid level prices for it so it is a blatent rip-off.

Try them out in the sun. I doubt it will work as well but it's worth a shot. If you still want to paint them again, either A100 from SW or MooreGuard/MooreGlo if you happen to find a Benjamin Moore would be my choice. There are better and worse but those are proven performers for the price.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

what where the conditions when you painted them? and where they fully dry when you stored them? We have used SW Resilience numorous times with success, Resilience even drys faster than most paints, because of the moisture guard in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
lkb

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
what where the conditions when you painted them? and where they fully dry when you stored them? We have used SW Resilience numorous times with success, Resilience even drys faster than most paints, because of the moisture guard in it.
I painted them last summer. It was probably in the high 70s, or somewhere around there, sunny. I sprayed them, then let them stand where they were overnight, and then moved them to our 3-season porch, where they were for about a month before I moved them into the basement for the winter. So, when I put them down there, they were as dry as they were going to get.

I know Resilience is supposed to be quick drying... I don't know what could've gone wrong. I mean, I guess they ARE dry... it's just that they're also sticky.
lkb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior paint, paint, sherwin williams, shutters