Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #1

Share |

SW Pro Classic vs BM Advance for Cabinets

I know this subject has been discussed an absurd amount, so I start off with an apology.

For the do it yourself homeowner, which do you suggest? Going to paint regular old oak cabinets to a creamy white. We were stuck on advanced till recently. Now I've been reading so much about people liking pro classic for cabinets.

Is one easier to work with for a non-pro?

I have access to a sprayer, though that is all I know about it. That it is a sprayer. I don't know if it's airless, hvlp, or what it is. I planned on trying to spray the doors and roll the frames.

I don't have a month to leave the kitchen un useable, but I am doing this before we move in. We will be careful but still want it to cure enough in a week or so time to be living there and opening them carefully.

A sample door we played with for color and glaze is in BM colors but I'm sure we can match it easy enough to SW.

SW will be on sale soon too, but it's not the deciding factor for the cabinet paint.

Thanks.

t1snwbrdr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #2

I won't address the use of BM products since I use SW. The SW Proclassic is some great stuff, especially for cabinets. It is something that definitely has a learning curve to it. It sets up quickly which means you can't be brushing or rolling back into the wet paint unless you're quick about it or you will mar the paint. I often use a Whizz roller to get the paint onto the surface quickly and then I either let it be or brush through the wet paint depending on the look the customer is after. Proclassic levels beautifully which means hardly any brush marks on the painted surface. It produces a hard, durable finish.
I'm sure someone will come along shortly to give you the lowdown on the BM Advance.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

For me,the Advance is easier to work with. Both are good for cabinets.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #4

My opinion which will probably confuse you more I like advance for spray and pro classic for rolling. Clear as mud right.
First you need to find out what kind of sprayer as this will make a difference. As stated pro classic has a learning curve but is my go to trim paint most of the time. Advance has a long re-coat time and this can be a disadvantage in some situations, but is a great paint.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
RiderS (04-01-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
ltd

sorry I cant comment on b/m but I can tell you that I revisited a cabinet job that I did about 7 years ago , that I used pro classic acrylic and it still looked perfect.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-09-2014), RiderS (04-01-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
Painting Contractor

Given the choice I'd go with Pro Classic oil over all of them.
rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #7

I used insl-x cabinet coat (benjamin moore owned) and it is some GOOD stuff!
mopower440 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mopower440 For This Useful Post:
RiderS (04-01-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #8

I like SW Proclassic Acrylic-Alkyd on cabinets. Use it on all my trim and doors too. Done several cabinet jobs sprayed with a fine finish tip. It levels like glass and dries hard. Just don't go back until its dried. If you get a blemish or drip, sand it smooth once dry and recoat.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iminaquagmire For This Useful Post:
RiderS (04-01-2014), ToolSeeker (03-12-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
24+ years of fixin'

after rehabing and up-grading many apartments, i would use SW pro-classic every time.
gmaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
I like SW Proclassic Acrylic-Alkyd on cabinets. Use it on all my trim and doors too. Done several cabinet jobs sprayed with a fine finish tip. It levels like glass and dries hard. Just don't go back until its dried. If you get a blemish or drip, sand it smooth once dry and recoat.
This has become my favorite trim paint. I find it easy to work with, easy to sand and find that it cures fairly quickly.
7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.62 For This Useful Post:
RiderS (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 AM   #11

So I'll be using a duron performance max 395 sprayer for this job (I researched way out, starting this or next week).

Our sample colors are BM. Should I stick with advanced due to getting samples from them? Can SW perfectly match our color of choice from BM?

I'm not partial to either, I'm obviously not a pro. I'd prefer whatever won't run, but I understand I can sand after curing if I happen to paint too thick and get a run. That's fine.

Will be rolling and or brushing the frames and spraying the cabinets.

We have rolled and brushed an entire cabinet set before but we would prefer this kitchen come out more professional looking.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #12

I googled your sprayer it is airless. If you have not used one before there are 2 important things PRACTICE and tip size. Both of the paints you are considering have a reputation for runs and sags. This can be minimized with tip size and practice. For practice most paint stores have mis-tinted paint for like $10 a gallon. Go to local appliance store get some large cardboard boxes. It takes a little to get your distance right and your arm to make the right motion
As for tip size these paint are prone to runs and sags as stated these can be controlled somewhat with the right tip and I can almost guarantee the tip that came with sprayer is too big. It doesn't matter if it's new paint, strain it.
Are these cabinets installed?
As far as matching colors either store should be able to match the others.
If you have any questions come on back.
RiderS (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #13

Thanks.

The cabinets are installed but I planned on removing doors to paint them.

I'll have to see if there is a fine tip available for me. If not I'm sure I could buy one somewhere.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #14

A fine finish tip will work well SW has them at some stores the others can order them. A quick tip while at the store buy the fine finish filters for your gun they run $11 I think, they are yellow. With the bigger filter in the gun and a FF tip sometimes the gun will spit, the FF filters will stop this.
Jmayspaint (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #15

Ok thanks for the advice. And I have model home cabinet samples to practice on (wife used to sell homes, so she still knows people selling. Scooped up a couple for practice purposes).

And pre drill the hardware holes or wait till after painting?

Last edited by t1snwbrdr12; 04-01-2014 at 08:19 AM.