Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #1

Share |

SW Brilliance Ceiling Paint - Seeing Roller marks

Hey Everyone - thanks for the input and comments that make this site great!

I am in the middle of a significant family room remodel.

So far I've:

- I've removed wood paneling & had drywall installed
- Installed recessed lights
- Had the 1/2 wall brick fireplace refaced with stack stone all the way up the wall
- Wired for home theater/surround sound

Whats left:

- Paint the ceiling & walls
- Remove carpet, install hardwoods
- Install trim
- Relax!

As the title suggests, I'm running into problems with painting the ceiling. I'm not an experienced painter, but I have painted a few walls that turned out just fine. I've painted the flat ceiling with 3 separate coats of SW Brilliance flat ceiling paint with a 1/2 " nap and I'm seeing textured spots throughout. These spots look blotchy from rolling the ceiling, and I do not know why. It looks as if some areas of the ceiling has more texture in some areas than others, and it does not look uniform.

After painting 3 coats, I figure I'm an idiot if I keep trying the same thing expecting different results. Any help?

Should I sand the ceiling with a fine grit sandpaper?

bentleyvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

If your seeing roller marks and blotchy areas you probally didn't maintain a wet edge and apply enough product. Use a quality 1/2 inch roller sleeve. Maintain a wet edge and spply enough paint to the ceiling without spreading it to far. I like rolling the second coat on a ceiling in the oppositte direction of the first coat. Ceilings are easiest with 2 people.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply HP-NY.

So lets say you are right, I didn't apply enough product or maintain a wet edge. So will another thick coat solve that issue? Or do I need to lightly sand the area first?

Another reason I heard from my local SW is that perhaps the roller could be 'pulling' paint from the ceiling to the roller as I paint, which can give that 'textured' appearance...
Old 09-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #4

Bentley, rolling ceilings takes a special touch. I have some articles on working with rollers and painting ceilings that might prove helpful. Click on the And, more DIY Painting Articles in my signature line below. I can see your ceiling in my mind's eye. The articles will help.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleyvt View Post
Thanks for the reply HP-NY.

So lets say you are right, I didn't apply enough product or maintain a wet edge. So will another thick coat solve that issue? Or do I need to lightly sand the area first?

Another reason I heard from my local SW is that perhaps the roller could be 'pulling' paint from the ceiling to the roller as I paint, which can give that 'textured' appearance...
No need to sand anything. Get a quality cover and get a lot of paint up there moving right along, it will be fine. You should really only ever need 2 coats of that paint, it is pretty good stuff.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Joe and I were typing at the same time. Take his advise
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #7

I have noticed that I have more roller marks using the Brilliance. Classic 99 ceiling paint did not produce this problem. Now, these roller marks don't show up really bad, but, I can see them. Classic 99 was great for textured ceilings as you could apply it heavily and it would soak up into the texture giving a nice even (rollermark free) finish. I guess there will be a learning curve with the reformulated/new Brilliance.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #8

I've never used Brilliance. But I've used the new waterborne ceiling flat by BM. I really didn't notice much difference in how it applies. What is about the brilliance that would leave marks? I'm asking because Gymshoes is having experiences. I'd expect an HO to say that, but when a pro has issues I perk up. I notice that they market brilliance as one coat, that makes me nervous. I did use that Resilience. Gag. Didn't care for that at all.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #9

Hmm...so if I've used nearly 3 gallons/3 coats of Brilliance on an 18.5 x 13.5 room, is it wise to continue or should I call a local professional???? The first gallon was SOAKED right up into the sheetrock. The 2nd coat, I painted in the same direction as the first. The 3rd coat I painted in the opposite direction.

I kept using more because people said I'd experience these problems by using too little paint. By my limited experience and SW's 'one-coat' coverage, I think I've used too much paint!

Like Gymschu said, the roller marks on mine aren't that bad - most of the time a ceiling is hardly noticed. But when you do look at the ceiling, it is very visable blotchyness throughout the ceiling.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Hmm...so if I've used nearly 3 gallons/3 coats of Brilliance on an 18.5 x 13.5 room, is it wise to continue or should I call a local professional???? The first gallon was SOAKED right up into the sheetrock. The 2nd coat, I painted in the same direction as the first. The 3rd coat I painted in the opposite direction.

I kept using more because people said I'd experience these problems by using too little paint. By my limited experience and SW's 'one-coat' coverage, I think I've used too much paint!

Like Gymschu said, the roller marks on mine aren't that bad - most of the time a ceiling is hardly noticed. But when you do look at the ceiling, it is very visable blotchyness throughout the ceiling.
Bentley, I feel bad about your experience. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say SW has reformulated its' ceiling paint to the point that coverage is lacking a bit. Classic 99 was great.......one coat coverage. I'd definitely say you have used too much paint! THREE gallons, wow. In hindsight, a primer, then a topcoat may have been in order, but, to be honest, I rarely prime a ceiling.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #11

Bentley, breathe. Your coverage area is 749 sq ft (3 coats)(18.5 x 13.5). The theoretical paint coverage is 350-400 p/gal. If you're into the third gallon, your problem is not using enough paint, as two gallons would cover 749. You should only be a few drops into the third can, if any. Was the ceiling bare sheetrock or previously painted? A bad priming/first coat job on bare sheetrock can make your final finishing miserable. SW is doing a double whammy here, as Brilliance is not only "one coat coverage", it's also paint and primer in one. PP. If you read the specs on the tech sheet, they're talking out both side of their mouths. It sounds to me like your not applying the product uniformly, which is easy to do on ceilings as a DIY, especially if you don't have the proper workspace set up. If the texture seems it would be visible, patching may be in order. Read the articles I suggested, cause if I'm correct in the uniformity issue, the articles will be helpful. I would also suggest you hang up on Brilliance, and switch to something like Ben Moore Super Spec flat, easy to use, nice and flat. Chalk it up to a learning experience and rolling practice. Good Luck.
edit; Gymschu posted while I was writing, so were both on to the quantities used. Gymschu, I would say that a lot of paints are being reformulated to the point that they're getting ridiculous, especially when they're marketing to HO's who don't work with product everyday, and don't have the experience to know when somethings changed and a different approach is required, and they haven't a clue as to what different approach to take.

Last edited by jsheridan; 09-07-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Painting Company, NY

Quote:

You said the first coat soaked right up? So the ceiling was old, dry and should have been primed first then with a quality primer, because the ceiling was not primed and the first coat was absorbed into the drywall you used three coats. The first coat acted like a primer in a sense. I've used Brillance before when it first came out and SW gave me some to demo. I didn't have a problem with it. As for one coat coverage that would be over a ceiling that was not older and dryed.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (09-22-2012), tpolk (09-10-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 03:10 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Brilliance is niether self priming or one coat, they lie.

Is there ANY one coat or self priming paint, I have not come across any

I will say ,after using 10 gals the last couple days, 2 coats makes a very nice finish, very white, which I like.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #14

Joe, you hit on one of the most frustrating aspects of professional painting..............the reformulation of paints you love working with. I can remember when SW's SuperPaint was reformulated it took some time to learn to work with the new stuff after having so much success with the old stuff. THis is definitely going on with SW's ceiling paint which used to be Classic 99 and is now called Brilliance.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Brilliance is niether self priming or one coat, they lie.

Is there ANY one coat or self priming paint, I have not come across any

I will say ,after using 10 gals the last couple days, 2 coats makes a very nice finish, very white, which I like.
I've never seen a one and done finish either. However, I have seen some finishes that a lot of other painters would consider one and done. Close, but no cigar. Are you painting full time again?

Tags
brilliance, ceiling