Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

SW Advice, is he right??

Ok, I called SW today armed with some recommendations on primers for my newly textured ceiling in the basement (which some of you gave me, thanks again) to get an idea of pricing. The guy said he would go with the Preprite Promar Primer for $25 a gallon (he's giving me contractor pricing), and that if i did that, I would not have to use ceiling paint over it since it is a flat white. Is this correct? And how much of a different product is the Preprite Promar vs. Zinnser Primecoat 2? Other than being twice as much?? HELP, i feel like such a newbie right now!

Leanne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8

SW Advice, is he right??

once it is primed use a flat paint. SW is costly.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 32

SW Advice, is he right??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne1 View Post
Ok, I called SW today armed with some recommendations on primers for my newly textured ceiling in the basement (which some of you gave me, thanks again) to get an idea of pricing. The guy said he would go with the Preprite Promar Primer for $25 a gallon (he's giving me contractor pricing), and that if i did that, I would not have to use ceiling paint over it since it is a flat white. Is this correct? And how much of a different product is the Preprite Promar vs. Zinnser Primecoat 2? Other than being twice as much?? HELP, i feel like such a newbie right now!

Prime AND paint

either primer will be fine
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

SW Advice, is he right??

Any idea why he would recommend doing that instead of selling me more paint? I was asking about different ceiling paints, so I'm just kind of baffled by the whole thing. Just wondering if I should ignore his advice and buy some ceiling paint and go with the Zinnser primer.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

SW Advice, is he right??

Quote:
Any idea why he would recommend doing that instead of selling me more paint? I was asking about different ceiling paints, so I'm just kind of baffled by the whole thing. Just wondering if I should ignore his advice and buy some ceiling paint and go with the Zinnser primer.

You got me. I would go with the Zinnser and if you have a Pittsburgh Paint near you, get their Premium Ceiling paint, less than $20 and some of the best ceiling paint I have used in 30 years.Otherwise, any quality flat white wall paint will do.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Leanne1 (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Jack of all - master none

SW Advice, is he right??

I will agree with above. Though I'm not a pro, when I did my laundry room addition I used Zinsser primer and Pittsburgh Ceiling paint - wonderful results.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #7

SW Advice, is he right??

thank you!! i do have a pittsburgh paint near, i'd never even heard of that before! Very strange...the guy said he was the manager, so i have no idea why he would say that to me instead of selling me the Brilliance paint i was asking about!!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 18

SW Advice, is he right??

Quote:
thank you!! i do have a pittsburgh paint near, i'd never even heard of that before! Very strange...the guy said he was the manager, so i have no idea why he would say that to me instead of selling me the Brilliance paint i was asking about!!
Leanne that was me on the phone. Sometimes when I'm in my local SW store and they are too busy to answer the phone, I do it for them!

Well, not really. That is a mystery for sure. Why he wouldn't want the addtional sale of paint is beyond me.

Thanks ChrisN for the advice on PPG ceiling paint. I have been looking for a quality ceiling paint ever since SW went from the Classic 99 to the current Brilliance.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

SW Advice, is he right??

[quote=Gymschu;853585]Leanne that was me on the phone. Sometimes when I'm in my local SW store and they are too busy to answer the phone, I do it for them!

Well, not really. That is a mystery for sure. Why he wouldn't want the addtional sale of paint is beyond me.

Thanks ChrisN for the advice on PPG ceiling paint. I have been looking for a quality ceiling paint ever since SW went from the Classic 99 to the current Brilliance.[/quote]

That's what got me to try it, It is great paint, no splatter, none and the price is right.Covers way better than Brilliance
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #10

SW Advice, is he right??

haha, thanks for the laugh @Gymshu!

Is this the paint from Pittsburgh Paints? I'm in the KC market and the actual paint stores closed a couple of years ago, but some dealers still carry the brand. This one is Ultra Interior Ceiling Paint, is that what I"m looking for, or does Pittsburg carry a more extensive line that I won't have access to?

http://www.menards.com/main/paint/pa...231-c-8017.htm
Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

SW Advice, is he right??

Quote:
Just remember paint and primer are different. Now granted most people do not wash ceilings like they do walls but you still want a finish up there.

I've also mentioned I have noticed a big difference in paint store vs. box store Pittsburgh products so be careful.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 18

SW Advice, is he right??

Leanne, if that's the stuff ChrisN was recommending, you're in business. My local Menard's has it for $18.97.............about the same as I pay for Brilliance, but, if it covers better, count me in!

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote