DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   SW Advice, is he right?? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/sw-advice-he-right-133729/)

Leanne1 02-14-2012 04:54 PM

SW Advice, is he right??
 
Ok, I called SW today armed with some recommendations on primers for my newly textured ceiling in the basement (which some of you gave me, thanks again) to get an idea of pricing. The guy said he would go with the Preprite Promar Primer for $25 a gallon (he's giving me contractor pricing), and that if i did that, I would not have to use ceiling paint over it since it is a flat white. Is this correct? And how much of a different product is the Preprite Promar vs. Zinnser Primecoat 2? Other than being twice as much?? HELP, i feel like such a newbie right now! :(

Nailbags 02-14-2012 05:08 PM

once it is primed use a flat paint. SW is costly.

chrisn 02-14-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leanne1 (Post 853513)
Ok, I called SW today armed with some recommendations on primers for my newly textured ceiling in the basement (which some of you gave me, thanks again) to get an idea of pricing. The guy said he would go with the Preprite Promar Primer for $25 a gallon (he's giving me contractor pricing), and that if i did that, I would not have to use ceiling paint over it since it is a flat white. Is this correct:eek:? And how much of a different product is the Preprite Promar vs. Zinnser Primecoat 2? Other than being twice as much?? HELP, i feel like such a newbie right now! :(


Prime AND paint

either primer will be fine

Leanne1 02-14-2012 05:37 PM

Any idea why he would recommend doing that instead of selling me more paint? I was asking about different ceiling paints, so I'm just kind of baffled by the whole thing. Just wondering if I should ignore his advice and buy some ceiling paint and go with the Zinnser primer.

chrisn 02-14-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leanne1 (Post 853547)
Any idea why he would recommend doing that instead of selling me more paint? I was asking about different ceiling paints, so I'm just kind of baffled by the whole thing. Just wondering if I should ignore his advice and buy some ceiling paint and go with the Zinnser primer.


You got me. I would go with the Zinnser and if you have a Pittsburgh Paint near you, get their Premium Ceiling paint, less than $20 and some of the best ceiling paint I have used in 30 years.Otherwise, any quality flat white wall paint will do.

hyunelan2 02-14-2012 05:55 PM

I will agree with above. Though I'm not a pro, when I did my laundry room addition I used Zinsser primer and Pittsburgh Ceiling paint - wonderful results.

Leanne1 02-14-2012 05:55 PM

thank you!! i do have a pittsburgh paint near, i'd never even heard of that before! Very strange...the guy said he was the manager, so i have no idea why he would say that to me instead of selling me the Brilliance paint i was asking about!!

Gymschu 02-14-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leanne1 (Post 853560)
thank you!! i do have a pittsburgh paint near, i'd never even heard of that before! Very strange...the guy said he was the manager, so i have no idea why he would say that to me instead of selling me the Brilliance paint i was asking about!!

Leanne that was me on the phone. Sometimes when I'm in my local SW store and they are too busy to answer the phone, I do it for them!:laughing:

Well, not really. That is a mystery for sure. Why he wouldn't want the addtional sale of paint is beyond me.

Thanks ChrisN for the advice on PPG ceiling paint. I have been looking for a quality ceiling paint ever since SW went from the Classic 99 to the current Brilliance.

chrisn 02-15-2012 05:11 AM

[quote=Gymschu;853585]Leanne that was me on the phone. Sometimes when I'm in my local SW store and they are too busy to answer the phone, I do it for them!:laughing:

Well, not really. That is a mystery for sure. Why he wouldn't want the addtional sale of paint is beyond me.

Thanks ChrisN for the advice on PPG ceiling paint. I have been looking for a quality ceiling paint ever since SW went from the Classic 99 to the current Brilliance.[/quote]


That's what got me to try it, It is great paint, no splatter:no:, none and the price is right.Covers way better than Brilliance

Leanne1 02-15-2012 02:10 PM

haha, thanks for the laugh @Gymshu! :)

Is this the paint from Pittsburgh Paints? I'm in the KC market and the actual paint stores closed a couple of years ago, but some dealers still carry the brand. This one is Ultra Interior Ceiling Paint, is that what I"m looking for, or does Pittsburg carry a more extensive line that I won't have access to?

http://www.menards.com/main/paint/pa...231-c-8017.htm

user1007 02-15-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leanne1 (Post 853547)
Any idea why he would recommend doing that instead of selling me more paint? I was asking about different ceiling paints, so I'm just kind of baffled by the whole thing. Just wondering if I should ignore his advice and buy some ceiling paint and go with the Zinnser primer.

Just remember paint and primer are different. Now granted most people do not wash ceilings like they do walls but you still want a finish up there.

I've also mentioned I have noticed a big difference in paint store vs. box store Pittsburgh products so be careful.

Gymschu 02-15-2012 03:12 PM

Leanne, if that's the stuff ChrisN was recommending, you're in business. My local Menard's has it for $18.97.............about the same as I pay for Brilliance, but, if it covers better, count me in!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.