Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Suspect painter not honest

Hey all,

I am in the process of getting of getting my house painted. The painter is using Benjamin Moore paint. He put on a single coat on the garage and said it doesn't coat well enough so it needs two, which will cost additional money. When looking at samples of colors to choose, I purchased a few small cans of Benjamin Moore paint and put in on the siding and it seemed to cover well. He left some paint out and I compared it to what I have and it seemed a bit thinner as if it was diluted. Is this common? Am I jumping to conclusions here? Any suggestions here? He may be a totally honest guy, but how can I figure this out.

Thanks - Drew

zimaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
EPI
Painter

I know when I quote a job, I stick to the price I quoted. A painter should know if a color will need multiple coats. many your deep base colors should need more than two coats, I say two coat because this is what I always practice and every painter should.

Last edited by EPI; 08-14-2008 at 10:56 PM.
EPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Zimaad:

Benjamin Moore makes different lines of exterior latex paints, so you can only really compare your paint to his if they're the same line of paint.

Hide in paint depends on many different factors, but it's mostly determined by the amount and kind of pigments used in the paint.

Basically, the flatter your paint, the greater the percentage of the paint film volume with be made up of pigments (of various kinds) and the smaller the volume percent of plastic binder, and the better the paint will hide. The glossier your paint, the smaller the volume percent of pigments in the paint, and the less well it will hide.

So, unless your paint had the same gloss level and was roughly the same colour, then it'll have a different level of hide even if it was from the same line of paint.

Also, it's not only whether or not you hide the underlying colour that matters. The thicker the paint film, the stronger it is and the less susceptible it is to breaking or cracking, so the longer it will last. Also, the thicker it is, the better it protects the underlying substrate from UV light from the Sun. So, two coats are better than one just because two coats are thicker and stronger and more opaque than one.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-15-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:51 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

He put on a single coat on the garage and said it doesn't coat well enough so it needs two,

Should have 2 no matter what.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Don't jump to conclusions, by any means.

We price/contract exterior paint work for two coats.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:58 AM   #6

So far as type of paint and color. both are Benjamin moore. The kind I purchased is the acrylic latex stain they have in their store for non-professional and the color is a pale yellow/off white. The type he has is also BM but Professional Acrylic Latex that is also a pale yellow in the off-white family. The house previously painted light gray.

Thanks - Drew
Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #7

Not to muscle in on this thread but...if an exterior paint covers well in one coat on a well maintained/upkept surface with some of the thicker self priming paints, Aura, Duration, Timeless, etc is 2 coats still a benefit versus the extra cost and labor? Would it be better to just repaint in 2,3 maybe 4 years with the second coat?

Also at what point do the pros feel too thick of a coating is detrimental?

Thanks in advance
Wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
Not to muscle in on this thread but...if an exterior paint covers well in one coat on a well maintained/upkept surface with some of the thicker self priming paints, Aura, Duration, Timeless, etc is 2 coats still a benefit versus the extra cost and labor? Would it be better to just repaint in 2,3 maybe 4 years with the second coat?

Also at what point do the pros feel too thick of a coating is detrimental?

Thanks in advance
With the amount of time prep work takes, it makes a LOT more sense to do the two coats ahead of time, instead of paying for the prep work to be repeated in just a short span of time.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 502

To the OP, if I were in your place, I'd be quite upset with the painter. Part of what you are paying for is him knowing, in advance, that it will need two coats so there aren't surprises like this. That said, if the contract only calls for one coat, then you are kind of over a barrel here. Yes, you probably do, in fact, need two coats. However, bringing in another painter to apply another coat because this one is an idiot and/or dishonest will cost you even more than Moron McPainter doing it.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replys guys. That's about where I'm at. Even if he does need to put on 2 coats, it would be out of principle to hire someone else. I think I'll just go ahead and get him to finish, but haggle the 2nd coat price a little. For what it's worth, I took what was left of the gallon to Benjamin Moore store and they opened up a can of that same base, and it was definately thicker.

Thanks again - Drew
Old 08-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Your contract should state specifically how many coats and which exact product(s) will be applied

For the record, for my company it's usually always two coats
A one coat system may be used for a maintenance coat (same color and applied before it's needed), or some specialty products (some stains and high build products)
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Did the store say the paint used was thinned too much?

Maybe you could tell your painter that you want the next coat applied either in its original "thickness consistency" or at least much thicker than the 1st coat?

And try to negotiate a labor discount since the job was mis-calculated?

Beth777 is offline   Reply With Quote