Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

suggestions for painting bath cabinets

Hi,

I'm finishing up the framing for two off the shelf bath cabinets. The were originally wall mount,but I've modified them to be inset. As a result, both of them need to be refinished because of all the fiddling I did.

Being the master of the bomb can I shot them both with multiple coats of primer and gloss Krylon from the box store. Although they both look great, I'm now having second thoughts about the work because I really don't think it's going to be a durable enough finish for a bath, especially since this will one day be a rental property. I'm not even sure what kind of paint is in those cans, the carriers are acetone and toluene, Acrylic maybe? Here's the MSDS for it...
http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/web...C=724504015017

Anyhow, I've been reading about conversion varnish, and seems like that might be a good way to go. I've done some auto painting in the past so I know my way around a gun, and am used to two pack finishes. Has anyone used this stuff? I'm guessing that I'll have no choice but to break out the stripper and get off every last molecule of the bomb can paint that I already shot, yes?

From what I've read vinyl sealer is a preferred sandable undercoating for that stuff, yes? If I go for this, I'll probably try the Sherwin brand as there is a SW store near me. Will this most likely work with a small HVLP rig? I just have a small gun, and an 80lb 4 gallon compressor. These are small medicine cabinet sized pieces though.

Are there any other really tough finishes I should consider that might be easier than this?

everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

I didn't realize CVs came in solids
I'm not really up on CVs, but I thought they for new unfinished wood

If that's true, you'll need to strip off the finish first

The Krylon is an enamel (solvent-based), and although not my first choice for cabs, should be effective

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
I didn't realize CVs came in solids
I'm not really up on CVs, but I thought they for new unfinished wood

If that's true, you'll need to strip off the finish first

The Krylon is an enamel (solvent-based), and although not my first choice for cabs, should be effective

That's what I was afraid of. I love painting, I hate stripping

I've successfully used bomb cans for a lot of things. But as I think back, they've always been things that were easily removed for refinishing if need be. An inset cab isn't going to be that easy. Although I'm sure that it would look fine after I used it for a couple of years, I can only imagine what it would look like after a short while in a tenant's care, "How was I supposed to know not to get nail polish remover on it? How was I supposed to get the nail polish off then? I'm not paying for that, blah blah".

I'm really not looking forward to this.
everyman is offline   Reply With Quote