Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Stupid question: Best way to clean walls from drywall dust?

The drywall guys just got done installing/sanding 600 sq ft of space in my basement. I figured this would be an easy question but I google searched it and came up with a bunch of different answers. Best way to get the drywall clean so I can prime?

Some said just use a broom on the walls....some said use a damp cloth (others said no water cause it will re-activate the mud and ruin all the seams!)....others said it doesn't really matter and some dust on the drywall will be fine. Any pointers?

Also, am I fine with latex paint on a textured (knock down texture looks like stucco) ceiling? Some people online said oh no the water in the paint will cause the texture to fall off, use oil. There seems to be a bunch of different opinions!

AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 552

AllGo

We are dealing with this too.

I went to a big box and bought a dust mop and used that. (These are the big furry ones you see people at stores using to sweep the floors. Big flat head with mop like fibers)

We put a fan in the window facing outwards and then used the dry dust mop a few times and then basically beat the dust out of the mop in front of the fan and then on to the next section. You can also take it outside and beat it or take the cover off and wash it. Was about 25 dollars and worked great.

No dust residue and no ladder climbing .

I know some people use the dry swifter and some vacuum (shop vac not house vac) but I had too much dust for the swifter and didn't want to mark the walls with the vacuum. If you vacuum you need a drywall filter - they are about 31 dollars for a good HEPA filter but work really well and the one I got has a one year guarantee. A regular filter will not cut it (found that out the hard way when demoing)

Best of luck

Robyn

forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,150

Yes, a DRY broom works best. Just start at the top and push downward so most of the dust falls to the ground. Some painters will use a HEPA vacuum to get the dust off the walls. I never worried too much about getting most of the dust off because the primer coat captures the dust and then I always sand the primer to remove any burrs, boogers, etc. leaving me with smooth walls for topcoating.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-24-2013), ToolSeeker (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I'm a little more picky about dusting Sheetrock. You can vacuum it with a brush attachment and not scratch it up. To me using a bag in the shop vac is a must. The dust mop idea works pretty good too. It is ok to dust with a damp cloth or sponge, but personally I like to keep it dry.

Drywall primers usually have ingredients like calcium carbonate or limestone to help bond to the calcium sulfate in gypsum, so a little dust won't hurt much if you are priming. It's much more important to dust thoroughly if your using a self priming paint, as any dust on the surface will affect the bond.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote