Strong Ammonia Smell With Glidden 2in1 - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Strong ammonia smell with Glidden 2in1

Made the mistake of buying some Glidden 2n1 brilliance exterior paint-semi gloss.
I say mistake because I don't think I have ever used such an awful paint. Was painting a white front door red. Already on 3 rd coat and still don't have a consistent color or finish.
I am not a professional, but have done a fair amount of painting in my time.
It does not self level at all and dries far too quickly.

I have come to the decison that I will have to re-prep the door and paint with another paint.

However my biggest concern was the very strong smell of ammonia or peroxide coming from the paint tin as soon as I opened it.Glidden claim is low VOC. At one point my eyes were burning and the morning after I applied the first coat I awoke with awful sinus pain and a headache.

Is this normal, or have I somehow got a bad batch?

Advertisement

Last edited by misswoosie; 10-23-2011 at 10:56 PM.
misswoosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Welcome Misswoosie, Ammonia is not an uncommon smell with paint. While ammonia can be toxic, I don't believe it is considered a VOC by government. Low or zero VOC doesn't mean non-toxic. "Green" paints are still very poisonous, they just don't emit certain supposed polluting organic compounds their ancestors did. Organic compounds, by definition, contain carbon. Hydrocarbons are the "villian". Ammonia doesn't contain carbon. If you contact Glidden, they could probably answer your question better.
Joe

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

I've never used Glidden top coats. The only thing I get from box stores are primers. Many of them have the strong ammonia smell because the ammonia helps adhesion by cutting into the surface.
There are much better finish coats at a real paint store. Many good choices.
And might be better in the future to use a real primer, then a real paint' 2 products that do each function best.
misswoosie (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #4

Thanks.
Actually it does say that when tinted it contains etyhlene glycol (antifreeze) which I believe is an organic compound, although obviously this isn't responsible for the strong odor.
I've never noticed such a strong,offensive smell of ammonia with any paint before, either here or in the UK. Oil based paint smell is much preferable to the overpowering ammonia smell from this paint.
I guess the culprit ingredient is peroxidisulfuric (disulphuric) acid.

I have contacted Glidden.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

At the moment all paints except a few lines at Benj Moore use glycol based tints.
And those paints are a new generation and are excellent.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I've never used Glidden top coats. The only thing I get from box stores are primers. Many of them have the strong ammonia smell because the ammonia helps adhesion by cutting into the surface.
There are much better finish coats at a real paint store. Many good choices.
And might be better in the future to use a real primer, then a real paint' 2 products that do each function best.
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS -

ah ah-agree.
I have only ever used alkyd/oil based paint on exterior doors and windows before, so this was a first for me. In the past have used 2 in 1 paints on interior walls and agree that 2 coats were always needed, which is what I expected really.
Also-it claims to be semi-gloss, but looks VERY high gloss to me.
It wouldn't seem to "stick" and was impossible to apply without brush strokes showing, no matter what size/quality brush I used or how much paint I put on the brush. I tried not overspreading/brushing and then the opposite.
Can I apply an alkyd paint over the top of this acrylic paint, after I sand down the mess I'm left with?
I understand that there are more expensive/better quality paints out there, but have used valspar paints before-the high definition, for interior walls and had good results.
This was $16 for a quart. How much would a similar paint in SW or BM paint cost? We have an ACE harware right beside us.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
At the moment all paints except a few lines at Benj Moore use glycol based tints.
And those paints are a new generation and are excellent.
Is this the natura range?
On the BM site when I search for stores it's not bringing up any ACE harware stores at all, so I can't see if it's stocked.

So annoyed-my parents are arriving from England today and instead of a nice new red front door they have an eyesore!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

What's likely occurring is a chemical interaction between your existing door paint/coating - and your new paint/coating.

Ammonia's harm comes from it's fumes, not it's liquid form - and when the liquidized ammonia is exposed to air it evaporates . . . ammonia fumes rust metal and interact with tannins in wood to deepen the color of a stain that's applied later (so it's used often in woodworking - especially older applications)

If your door at some point was fumed with ammonia or ammonia was applied heavily (like for cleaning purposes) it's likely soaked into the poors and is being released via chemical interaction.

So if I were you I'd:
use paint remover to strip the paint.
Scrub the door with VINEGAR (not hydrochloric acid like i first typed in - oops!)
then soap and water
let dry - start over.

Last edited by Snav; 10-24-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
Scrub the door with a hydochloric acid
Is this right

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 296

As these products no longer contain solvents or preservatives, ammonia is a drying agent, not a volatile organic compound. Generally this odor dissipates quickly when the product dries. It does not initiate a reaction, and subjecting yourself to a caustic acid is unnecessary.

The Brilliance product sold in Wal Mart is not an economy-grade product, although I realize that some here infer that anything sold in a large retail outlet is sub standard.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 512

Get a quality paint in a color other than red (notoriously bad coverage), and everything will fall into place for you.

(I am amazed at how frequently people fall into the 'short-cut' marketing trap. 'Paint and primer in one', 'one coat coverage', 'pink until it's dry ceiling paint' and more often than not these gimmicks simply adds a layer of complexity to a straight forward project.)

Last edited by Windows; 10-24-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Is this right
I hope not
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

I meant to say vinegar!

Not muriatic acid - that won't help.

Oh heavens - so sorry! Don't do that.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #14
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
I meant to say vinegar!

Not muriatic acid - that won't help.

Oh heavens - so sorry! Don't do that.
acetic acid sounds soooo much better

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Snav (10-24-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by misswoosie View Post
Is this the natura range?
On the BM site when I search for stores it's not bringing up any ACE harware stores at all, so I can't see if it's stocked.

So annoyed-my parents are arriving from England today and instead of a nice new red front door they have an eyesore!
Natura is one, I think the Aura line both interior and exterior is outstanding- but has a learning curve.
Also there is the Ben line- a mid priced grade- still nice and Regal Select- one small step below Aura in quality.
Aura Rocks red BTW- a hard color to get coverage in in most paints- Aura will almost always get it in 2 .

Qts of Aura retail for 21.99 at my stores

Advertisement

Last edited by Brushjockey; 10-24-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote