Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

Stripping wallpaper

I'm prepared to be patient and do this tiny piece by piece if I have to, but was wondering if I'm approaching this the right way before I go any further. Here is a pic of the wall (it is a powder room/half-bath). Wallpaper was put in, presumably, when the house was built in 1970. The paper itself comes off fairly easily but the backing/gray part remains. As you can see I bought one of those 'paper tiger' devices and scored the a small test area (shown here) and then sprayed it with the remover stuff. I haven't given it an honest go yet as I wanted to get some advice here first. Thank you in advance!

Any advice?

mark2741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #2

Stripping wallpaper

That sure looks like primer behind there which i what you want to see. It will help keep the drywall in one piece. Also only looks like one layer of wallpaper so try an area without the paper tiger. No sence in poking a bunch of holes that will need to be skim coated if you don't have to.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Stripping wallpaper

Here's a link from within the boards: Removing Wallpaper Paste

Here is my personal experience:

Step 1
Prepare yourself for your soul to be tested.

Step 2
Prepare a stock pot or small pail with warm water and 1 cup of Downy fabric softener, throw a sponge in it, and prepare the same solution in a 1 quart plastic spray bottle. Make sure the water is warm.

Step 3
Run the score tool over the dry wall paper.

Step 4
Do this step in 2 foot by 4 foot sections. Spray the mix over the scored paper. Wait 3-4 minutes. Peal the outer layer off.

Step 5
Same deal, 2x4 ft sections. Spray the mixture over the backing. Take the wet sponge and work the mixture into the backing. Wait 3-4 minutes. Take a large mud knife or paint scraper, and scrape the backing off. Some areas may come off in large swaths. Some spots may need a lot more attention. But make sure the backing layer is saturated with the mixture. It breaks down the glue.

Step 6
Make sure ALL of the fibrous backing is gone. Wash the walls a bunch of times with the mixture, rinsing with water each time. You'll probably be on day 3 or 4 at this point. The goal here is break down the glue residue that's left on the drywall. Trust me when I say you will never get it all off. But you will get a lot off. You'll know the glue is still there when you wet your hand at the faucet, and then rub the wall with your palm, and the wall feels slimy. That's the glue.

Step 7
Once all the high spots are gone, and before you spackle any gouges, paint the walls with Zinsser's Gardz. This seals the glue residue, so you can spackle and paint over it. If you skip this step, your paint will peal off the wall. If you end up sanding spackle spots down, give it another quick coat of Gardz, to cover any areas where you sanded the Gardz away and exposed the glue residue.

Step 8
Paint as you normally would.

Don't think that you could sand away the glue residue. The abrasives in the sanding media basically rip the glue into shreds, turning it into peach fuzz. You're better off washing as much of it away as possible, and sealing it with Gardz.

Good luck. When you're done, have someone take a picture of you and post it back here. We can compare our 1000-yard stares.

First Photo
Young, determined home owner, before removing wall paper.

Second Photo
Same person, after the wall paper removal experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Stripping wallpaper-barrett-young.jpg  
Attached Images

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Haste Makes Waste

Stripping wallpaper

That looks to be the strippable vinyl paper; if so, peel away all the vinyl before using a paper tiger as it may not be necessary (then no repairs to those tiny holes). If you use the tiger, apply VERY little pressure to avoid scoring your wall.

I add white vinegar to the very warm water and downy as it will help disolve the glue. Saturate and scrape, saturate and scrape, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. Also, I use a paint roller to wet the walls and use a flat, round wallpaper remover (it's easy to use). In areas, I've had to bring out the big guns and use the large wallpaper remover with a 4" razor blade (deadly).

It really isn't so difficult, just very tedious...and what a mess!! Cover baseboards and floors with plastic to avoid any potential damage. Wash walls a couple of times til they are squeaky clean. Then use the Gardz...it's very messy, (take caution, it's like water going on the walls) but will dry to a clear smooth surface. It's a great product.

If the above doesn't remove it there is another solution called Safe & Simple (http://safeandsimple.com/new/Main.htm). This product was referred Chrisn....hopefully he'll comment on this for you. He guided me in removing 96 years worth of painted paper. Work still in progress, lol .

Also, make sure you follow Step One from Aggie!!!

Last edited by saggdevil; 08-29-2009 at 12:37 PM.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Stripping wallpaper

I would agree with saggdevil's first paragraph and mostly with the rest also

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #6

Stripping wallpaper

Thanks for the advice guys! Sure enough - it is vinyl wallpaper that was fairly easily peeled off (the top layer, that is). I was able to peel off about 80% of it in 45 minutes, and that includes dismantling a recessed medicine cabinet and some wall-mounted fixtures in the powder room. I did tear some drywall paper along the way but I'm pretty good with skim-coating so I'm not concerned about that.

Tomorrow morning I have to remove the vanity/sink that's presently in there and once that's done I'll be able to get at the rest of the wallpaper. The wallpaper was installed before they installed the vanity. I'm buying all new fixtures so it had to go anyway.

Then in the afternoon I'll try soaking the backing and hopefully it'll scrub off easily : ) It does seem to come off, slowly but surely, by just rubbing my fingers along the edges and it peels up, but only small pieces at a time. I'm confident that the soak method outlined in the webpage you referenced should work well. I bought a two-sided sponge made especially for this - one side is rough the other regular. I'll report back the progress tomorrow night.

One question:
I have a spray bottle of 'Pirhanna' brand wallpaper removal spray. I am just planning on using that instead of the downy/water mixture as I assume it should work just as good or hopefully better. Bad assumption?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
Haste Makes Waste

Stripping wallpaper

Don't know anything about Pirhana stripper solution, but Chrisn might. Personally, I don't want to use anything inside my house that requires a respirator (the DIF requires respirator). Therefore after researching, I found most recommend the vinegar to disolve the glue.

Also, those green square scratchy pads (3M makes some) are really good to help remove the wet paper backing and glue once it's been soaked.
Good luck and have fun!

If you dedide to use a purchased solution, the Safe and Simple is safe, odor free and non-volitile (see website above).

Last edited by saggdevil; 08-30-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Stripping wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2741 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys! Sure enough - it is vinyl wallpaper that was fairly easily peeled off (the top layer, that is). I was able to peel off about 80% of it in 45 minutes, and that includes dismantling a recessed medicine cabinet and some wall-mounted fixtures in the powder room. I did tear some drywall paper along the way but I'm pretty good with skim-coating so I'm not concerned about that.

Tomorrow morning I have to remove the vanity/sink that's presently in there and once that's done I'll be able to get at the rest of the wallpaper. The wallpaper was installed before they installed the vanity. I'm buying all new fixtures so it had to go anyway.

Then in the afternoon I'll try soaking the backing and hopefully it'll scrub off easily : ) It does seem to come off, slowly but surely, by just rubbing my fingers along the edges and it peels up, but only small pieces at a time. I'm confident that the soak method outlined in the webpage you referenced should work well. I bought a two-sided sponge made especially for this - one side is rough the other regular. I'll report back the progress tomorrow night.

One question:
I have a spray bottle of 'Pirhanna' brand wallpaper removal spray. I am just planning on using that instead of the downy/water mixture as I assume it should work just as good or hopefully better. Bad assumption?

It will work, just mix with HOT water and really soak it, wait 10 minutes, SOAK it, wait ,and scrape with a 5 inch drywall taping knife. After you think you have all the paste removed( you will not) prime with Guardz, sand, skim,sand,prime again, paint, DONE
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
Haste Makes Waste

Stripping wallpaper

Clothing advertisement in the painting forum??????
Old 08-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #10

Stripping wallpaper

Chrisn,

I filled a bucket with hot water and then sprayed a ton of the Pirhana brand wallpaper removal spray into the hot water. Took a sponge and soaked a 2x3 section of the wall. Waited 15 minutes, came back, and soaked the same section again.

A few small areas of the backing/glue 'bubbled up' and was easily torn away, but otherwise, it didn't do much good. It's like the backing/glue is paint-like in most spots, making it impervious to the liquid solution.

Perhaps if I rent/buy one of those steamers that would help?

I'm starting to get worried....I don't want to have to rip down the walls and replace : (
Old 08-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
Painting Company, NY

Stripping wallpaper

We do use Safe and Simple. Its all natural, 100% green. It works pretty well and is oderless. You can order it on line, its concentrated and you mix it with warm water accordingly.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Haste Makes Waste

Stripping wallpaper

Is the spray bottle "ready-to-use" or concentrated? If it's ready-to-use, then you wouldn't need the water. Not sure why you would spray the Pirannah into the hot water. That leads me to believe it was the ready to use and not concentrated; if so, just use it full strength. Hopefully the drywall was primed prior to paper installation. Hopefully Chris will give his input here...he's the wallpaper pro.

You may want to try some hot water with white vinegar and downy. It worked well for me.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #13

Stripping wallpaper

sagg, DIF requires a respirator? Since when? Zinsser doesn't think so.

In any case, you will need to do some gentle scraping (not scrubbing) to get the paper off. Zinsser makes a nice scraper for this use... With the scraper, it should come right off with minimal wall damage.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #14
Haste Makes Waste

Stripping wallpaper

Sir, I read it on the bottle. Not sure if it was the ready to use or the concentrated, but didn't need it anyway.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #15

Stripping wallpaper

Just spoke with someone here at my work who had this same problem. They wound calling a friend who had came over and did it with Dif in an hour. I'm gonna try that tonight and will report back.