Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Stretch

Share |

Stripping / painting a tired exterior door

We have a 6-panel wood entry door that is stained / varnished. It is old & tired with the varnish flaking off (baked by the sun / elements for 20+ years). We want to paint it, and would prefer avoiding strippers if possible.

Does all the varnish need to come off? If we sand off the loose / nasty stuff & simply rough up the rest with sand paper...will a good quality primer / ext. paint do the job...or will this method fail me down the road, requiring me to do it again sooner rather than later?

All the flat surfaces will be sanded down to wood (belt sander)...that is easy. It's the contours I am worried about. Going at it with sand paper will wear down the edges if I really go at it...

Thanks for the inputs in advance! If my plan of attack above is AFU, bring it on.

Last edited by scheenstra; 03-01-2009 at 05:32 PM.
scheenstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Use a scraper first to remove all the loose paint. Then sand so that all edges are feathered. Use a quality exterior primer and paint. Good paints cost more... Wipe with wilbond then prime. Wipe small sections at a time and cover with primer or the Wilbond will dry and loose it's effectiveness. Add penetrol to your oil based top coat to get good adhesion and flow.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
the Musigician

if it were me, i'd flat sand, but still use a stripper where needed to remove ALL old varnish. but i'm fussy that way......
although i think you'll be much happier with the end results if you take the extra step.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote