Stripping Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

stripping paint

What methods do you use for stripping paint.
The main one I use when I have to is gas burner and scraper. It's a million times faster than a heat gun.

has anyone used the paintscraper power tool with the vacuum dust extraction attachment?
There is also a steam removal system.

Advertisement

nerd_flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

stripping paint

We use the paint shaver by Makita. Its about $700. but works great on clapboards.

Advertisement

waynech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

stripping paint

Depends on what I am stripping. On old exteriors with antique sidings I often end up using a power shaver, then a power scraper, a heat gun (very carefully) and hand scraper for paint in corners, and finally an orbital sander. For trim and so forth nothing beats a good quality, super sharp set of scrapers and different grits of paper. Every once in awhile I will have to use stripper on detail elements.

For interiors I often find layers of paint over nice hardwood in old houses. Usually nobody bothered to prime well first so I can almost always get back to the bare wood with sharp scrapers and then sanding (and find it as fast as dealing with the mess from strippers and so forth). I use anything that generates heat and that could melt the paint into the grain very sparingly. This includes most chemical strippers, heat guns (can also start fires) and power tools that generate heat from the friction.

Now if it is just a soft grain wood underneath (e.g. pine), but with nice detail, that I am going to paint again anyhow? I will use the newer gel strippers and power tools when I can. The hand scrapers and contour sanders come in handy too.

If I have a large staircase or there is extensive stripping to do I usually call in a stripping company that has the recirculating chemical systems and so forth. I don't like how it can discolor wood you are trying to save for stain and clear finishing but I have been known to take removed doors and trim that is to be painted to one of the stripping companies that just dips everything.

When stripping anything old consider the possibility of lead paint and protect yourself and the environment accordingly. Dispose of all paint scrapings and other wastes appropriately.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote