Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Share |

Stripping Moulding; is this wood filler or primer?

Hi all,

First time poster, Long time lurker. My wife and I bought a 1924 Dutch Colonial in need of a lot of TLC a few months back. First project is painting kitchen. I'm stripping the multiple years of paint including the sloppiest black latex job one could imagine. Heat gun on low (so as not to vaporize any lead) is working ok. I've stripped a little of the moulding around the cabinets just to check it out and the bottom layer appears to be some beige material that gets pretty goopy with the heat. I'm not sure if its just some thick old primer to block the wood from bleeding through paint or if they coated all/alot of the moulding in some sort of wood filler/putty to shape it (?) and block the color or what.

Ideas as to what this is underneath the paint will help me decide if I want to strip it all and get the lead out or just sand as best I can before further prep. Thanks in advance! Anyhow, I've uploaded some pictures; What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Stripping Moulding; is this wood filler or primer?-moulding1.jpg   Stripping Moulding; is this wood filler or primer?-moulding-4.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by MEE123; 07-28-2012 at 02:00 PM.
MEE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

probably original lead based oil primer

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the opinion! The stuff is almost like jif peanut butter when I heat it up, but it scrapes off easier than some of the other layers of paint on the cabinets. There is a particularly stubborn aqua green buried under there. Going to go back with fresh start superior and advance. I've got time to let it dry.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #4

Far faster and will come out far better to just remove that old trim and replace it with new wood.
And far less chance if lead poisoning.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback. I wish I could easily replace but I'm afraid to go replacing wood that has been in here almost 100 years for the products that are sold today.

P.S. did some more research and I think it some sort of brushing putty or some sort of wood grain filler. They coated all the mouldings, must have cost a fortune, used to be some rich people who lived here long ago. Put in a slate roof and the whole bit.

Last edited by MEE123; 07-29-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEE123 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I wish I could easily replace but I'm afraid to go replacing wood that has been in here almost 100 years for the products that are sold today.

P.S. did some more research and I think it some sort of brushing putty or some sort of wood grain filler. They coated all the mouldings, must have cost a fortune, used to be some rich people who lived here long ago. Put in a slate roof and the whole bit.

you got that right
Old 07-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

For sure some layers of that are lead based paint. Read up on safe working with it- dust is the biggest issue, but burning lead paint has been made a complete no no for contractors- does release much lead toxins.
Check into some of the modern strippers like Lead out
Old 07-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #8

Is that lead out stuff legit? I will try it if its not junk like the rest. I've tried about 6 different strippers and they're all "meh". Haven't tried ready strip or ready strip pro, but seems like they all have the same active ingredient. Soy gel and citristrip are not satisfactory, but probably the best of what I've tried. Heat gun and 5 in 1 or carbide is killing that stuff. Got a hepa filter and bag, sure its not as good as true hepa vac, but it's hopefully good enough, no kids in the house. EPA says can use heat gun to remove as long as temperature under 1000 degrees. I keep it on 750. 1100 is actual vaporizing point from what I gather, seems safer than stripping and scraping and sanding; lots of dust and gunk with that. Comes off in big strips where I can use heat gun. Of course tough to do around the windows.

Pretty crazy that they coated all this wood with the wood grain filler. Wouldn't want to have to sand that. I will probably just sand and wipe with mineral spirits then prime with fresh start superior and two coats of advance or waterborne satin impervo.

Thanks!

Last edited by MEE123; 07-29-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

I don't actually know- I don't do much stripping. But sounds like you are aware and researched , so carry on and good luck!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Is that lead out stuff legit? I will try it if its not junk like the rest. I've tried about 6 different strippers and they're all "meh". Haven't tried ready strip or ready strip pro, but seems like they all have the same active ingredient. Soy gel and citristrip are not satisfactory, but probably the best of what I've tried. Heat gun and 5 in 1 or carbide is killing that stuff. Got a hepa filter and bag, sure its not as good as true hepa vac, but it's hopefully good enough, no kids in the house. EPA says can use heat gun to remove as long as temperature under 1000 degrees. I keep it on 750. 1100 is actual vaporizing point from what I gather, seems safer than stripping and scraping and sanding; lots of dust and gunk with that. Comes off in big strips where I can use heat gun. Of course tough to do around the windows.

Pretty crazy that they coated all this wood with the wood grain filler. Wouldn't want to have to sand that. I will probably just sand and wipe with mineral spirits then prime with fresh start superior and two coats of advance or waterborne satin impervo.

Thanks!

good choices although I don't know if the mineral spirits might not leave a film that the FS might not adhere to very well

Last edited by chrisn; 07-30-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I don't actually know- I don't do much stripping. But sounds like you are aware and researched , so carry on and good luck!
I've tried a lot of stuff. We stripped the cabinets and it was a bit of a nightmare, but we can see the light now. wish I had never heard of citristrip. The heat gun works pretty good. Hopefully I don't poison us all! hah.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
good choices although I don't know if the mineral spirits might not leave a film that the FS might not adhere to very well
I'll have to look into that before starting to wipe it! Yeah, on the paint choices I've been lurking here and painttalk long enough to pick up some impressions. I would do with advance (drying time isn't an issue) but I'm concerned it will yellow, like an oil.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
I'll have to look into that before starting to wipe it! Yeah, on the paint choices I've been lurking here and painttalk long enough to pick up some impressions. I would do with advance (drying time isn't an issue) but I'm concerned it will yellow, like an oil.

not supposed to but you cannot go wrong with Satin Impervo, just watch the runs and corners
Old 08-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #14

Hey Guys,Went to go pick up the fresh start superior and noticed its an acrylic/latex primer. Do you think that will get the job done on these cabinets and trip with this black paint? I've scraped and sanded everything and we're stripping the fronts and doors down to bare wood or as close as we can get it. I think its an original oil primer. I thought I might spot prime with BIN (where I scorched the cabinets in a place or two and then prime with something hopefully water based (Fresh Start or Smart Prime?). I'm skeered to break out too many solvents in the kitchen with redone hardwoods. But I guess I could do an oil if I had to. But to me that kind of defeats the purpose of going with Advance. I can get oil based paints here in NC, including satin impervo. Thanks!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Hey Guys,Went to go pick up the fresh start superior and noticed its an acrylic/latex primer. Do you think that will get the job done on these cabinets and trip with this black paint? I've scraped and sanded everything and we're stripping the fronts and doors down to bare wood or as close as we can get it. I think its an original oil primer. I thought I might spot prime with BIN (where I scorched the cabinets in a place or two and then prime with something hopefully water based (Fresh Start or Smart Prime?). I'm skeered to break out too many solvents in the kitchen with redone hardwoods. But I guess I could do an oil if I had to. But to me that kind of defeats the purpose of going with Advance. I can get oil based paints here in NC, including satin impervo. Thanks!!!!

yes
I see no need for the Bin
Satin Impervo also comes in a water borne