Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

Stripping exterior paint

Hello, we purchased a home which was built in 1965. I think the exterior has lead paint and I'd like to get rid of the paint. I've talked to a couple of painters and they told me that to strip the paint would be as much as residing the house! Is there a safe way I could strip the paint myself? IR? Chemical? We havent moved into the house yet and I'd like to do this before we move in. Any ideas would be greatly welcomed.

laorquidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #2

Stripping exterior paint

There about right, Go over it with siding and never have to deal with it again.
Most likly it would be faster to.

Google "Peel Away" for a safe stripper to use with lead paint.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #3

Stripping exterior paint

Thanks joecaption. We are just trying to decide on what to do. It just seems like a waste of the wood shingles, they are in great shape. We are trying to decide wether we should just side over it, use fiber cement shingles or remove the shingles, insulate and use vinyl siding. The only thing about the vinyl siding is that I don't think it would go too well in our neighborhood, but whatever. I thought I'd see I check on any DIY options for the paint removal.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #4

Stripping exterior paint

If it's in good shape then just clean it up and paint it.
Lead paint on the outside of the house does no harm until you start sanding or burning it trying to get the old stuff off.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Stripping exterior paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There about right, Go over it with siding and never have to deal with it again.
And substract thousands instantly from the value of your home when you go vinyl! If you live in an historic neighborhood or you are bound by any landmarking and put vinyl on you will probably be asked to take it back off! For good reason. Don't do it! And while you might not have to paint vinyl it is hardly maintenance free!

An infrared stripper was one of the best tools I ever bought and I used mine a lot inside and out. It removes years and layers of built up paint with little effort if you use the rail system on the exterior. You can rent one but there are waiting lists I am told. They are not cheap but if you can spare the cashflow to buy one and the handsfree rail system do that and use it at your leisure without worrying about getting it back to the rental company. You should be able to sell it used for a tidy sum and the net amount will be cheaper than renting. I got a nice price for mine when taken out of the race and I had used it for 3-4 years.

Now you do have the lead abatement issue and depending on where you are there may be restrictions on dealing with it and procedures for disposing of it. If you hire a contractor the person will be more tightly bound than you as a homeowner so it is true costs could soar to what it would cost to replace the siding. No reason to if the siding is in good shape though.

The IR stripper will not send any of it airborne but you will want to collect what you scrape of on plastic tarps you can roll up and tape shut and then stick in contractor bags. You should wear disposable tyvek suits and gloves and masks of course. Ask how to dispose of it all. Library or your municipal folks are good starting points. There may be info from your state EPA.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #6

Stripping exterior paint

Sdsester - do you have a recommendation on a brand for the ir paint stripper? I imagine it might take a while to strip the house, do I prime as I go along? Or is it ok to leave the wood bare until I finish stripping off the paint and can get it painted? Thanks for the info.

Last edited by laorquidia; 09-05-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Stripping exterior paint

Lead paint answers here, as a home owner, you really do not have to go through the same process as a contractor.

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Stripping exterior paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorquidia View Post
Sdsester - do you have a recommendation on a brand for the ir paint stripper? I imagine it might take a while to strip the house, do I prime as I go along? Or is it ok to leave the wood bare until I finish stripping off the paint and can get it painted? Thanks for the info.
Mine was the original brand out of Scandinavia but there are others out there now as well so shop around. There was no escaping part of the reason mine was so expensive was because of the exchange rate! You may have to shop online or have a paint store order one. Make sure to get one that has the accessories you will use like the hands free capability for scraping your exterior so you do not have to keep a hand on the IR scraper but can glide it along its rails.

http://www.silentpaintremover.com/

I think I remember you mentioning you had shake siding? No matter I guess if it is wood horizontal siding you might want to consider solid stain instead of primer and paint. Trade offs to both so read posts about the options on this forum. You can get solid stain mixed to any color but use something really good like Sherwin Williams Woodscapes acrylic. It requires no primer. You can use it over new wood, freshly stripped would or even over previously painted surfaces.

In any event, whether you choose solid stain or primer and paint (don't fall for the primer and paint in one products! No such thing!), you do not have to prime as you go inch by inch. You certainly do not want to leave bare wood exposed for long though. But you should not leave even a good paint store primer without a finish coat so do not count on primer to get you through the winter.

I think you will be surprised at how fast it goes with the IR stripper---it was much speedier than anything I ever used before! You still want to make sure you have a nice SHARP scraper (and probably a brush for shakes) to grab the loosened paint.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #9

Stripping exterior paint

It is not a bad idea to consult with local authorities or the 800-424-8323 for some direction. Liability issues may become very expensive.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will22 For This Useful Post:
laorquidia (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #10

Stripping exterior paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorquidia View Post
Hello, we purchased a home which was built in 1965. I think the exterior has lead paint and I'd like to get rid of the paint. I've talked to a couple of painters and they told me that to strip the paint would be as much as residing the house! Is there a safe way I could strip the paint myself? IR? Chemical? We havent moved into the house yet and I'd like to do this before we move in. Any ideas would be greatly welcomed.
I would learn a great deal more about lead and the risks before deciding on a course of action. Lead levels in paint were reduced dramatically in 1965, and certainly the house has been painted several times since then. Lead paint in good condition on the exterior of a house is not a hazard, even less so if encapsulated behind non-lead paint, until you disturb it. Simply committing to the routine maintenance of the exterior of the home may be the safest route, and has a nice corollary of saving you a lot of time and money.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #11

Stripping exterior paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
I would learn a great deal more about lead and the risks before deciding on a course of action. Lead levels in paint were reduced dramatically in 1965, and certainly the house has been painted several times since then. Lead paint in good condition on the exterior of a house is not a hazard, even less so if encapsulated behind non-lead paint, until you disturb it. Simply committing to the routine maintenance of the exterior of the home may be the safest route, and has a nice corollary of saving you a lot of time and money.
Windows - the thing is that the paint is chipping. We are going to replace the windows and exterior doors, along with the garage doors (they are really not in good shape). In certain places it seems like the outer layers of paint is chipping and the lead paint is intact - resilient stuff). I have a 5 month old and a 2.5 year old and I'm just really nervous. I think I'm going to send out some soil samples and see what the lead levels are before deciding on anything....
Old 09-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #12

Stripping exterior paint

I think it is important to be vigilant. I am generally one of the people on here warning others of the dangers in the environment, I just don't like to see anyone spending their money and energy unnecessarily. Tests may help you to reach a good decision but they are a double edged sword; what you learn becomes part of the record of the house. Chipping paint is not a deal breaker - you just need to be careful to collect all the chips when you prep to paint (which is not all that difficult - and you would have to do anyways if you were to strip or demo), and you need to to be sure that the kids don't eat mudpies made from dirt near the house. That's the way I would approach the issue; everyone has to mitigate risk in the way that makes them feel comfortable.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #13

Stripping exterior paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
I think it is important to be vigilant. I am generally one of the people on here warning others of the dangers in the environment, I just don't like to see anyone spending their money and energy unnecessarily. Tests may help you to reach a good decision but they are a double edged sword; what you learn becomes part of the record of the house. Chipping paint is not a deal breaker - you just need to be careful to collect all the chips when you prep to paint (which is not all that difficult - and you would have to do anyways if you were to strip or demo), and you need to to be sure that the kids don't eat mudpies made from dirt near the house. That's the way I would approach the issue; everyone has to mitigate risk in the way that makes them feel comfortable.
thanks windows. we have plan if we don't reside the house - which is to xeri-scape the perimeter. we moved to MA from NM and xeri-scaping can look very nice - maybe we'll make it fashionable in New England. I have conflicting feelings about getting the official tests done. I think we would make a better informed decision knowing the exact levels of the lead, but if for whatever reason we decide to sell the house near term then somehow it's not a good thing to have the results, people would rather buy an "unknown" status than one that tells you the specific levels (at least according to our realtor).
Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #14

Stripping exterior paint

I think you are underestimating how long it would Take u to actually strip an entire house! If I was u I would just prime the house just to be safe, then paint it. I don't think their are any laws about having led paint onthe exterior, if their were it probably wouldn't be their still. You can prime it to seal it good and paint it whatever color you want and problem solved.
Jmartinez81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #15

Stripping exterior paint

I'm wondering why a home inspection did not catch this lead paint issue before the house was sold?

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote