Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

Share |

Strip water based S.W. sealer off my deck? (Pics)

I used S.W. brand water based sealer, didn't go so well.
Picture below.

It now looks like someone threw 100 full ash trays all over it.

My plan is to use a deck stripper, then random orbit sand and pressure wash... to prep for oil based sealer.
Are there any decent strippers available at Home Depot/ Lowes? ha ha... decent strippers...

History:
P.T. pine deck put on last July, let it weather for 45 days, then sanded off any graying and the ink labels and powerwashed... looked like fresh cut lumber.
Let it dry, next day I sprayed the SW deckscaped on 2-3 boards at a time then used a roller to spread it thinly/ evenly. Looked awesome for a while, then it started turning gray, then it got REALLY gray and splotchy and now looks terrible. I tried pressure washing a section and the stuff is hanging on for dear life so I thought a stripper might help.

Suggestions on my idea to strip the deck/ sand/ wash, and product recommendations for a high quality oil based sealer (no or light pigment/ tint).
Thanks! John
(PS the 10+ year old wood in the gazebo prepped the same way has held up well with the same product so I suspect it might be a reaction with the new P.T. wood?)

After a couple months (just rained that's why it's wet in spots). It looks much worse now...

Updated pic:

Last edited by John in NC; 09-04-2012 at 02:37 PM.
John in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #2

see if you can locate some Dex Stripade, to remove old finish.

CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptRandy For This Useful Post:
John in NC (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #3

Go online to pressuretek or sunbrite supply and order their stripper, they are much better. You will also need to neutralize after you strip. They sell that also. Then sand any areas that need it. I prefer Ready Seal, it is what I use on my customer's decks. You can get it clear or tinted, the tinted offers better protection. Hope that helps.
ff782 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ff782 For This Useful Post:
John in NC (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #4

Agree with ff about Ready Seal. if you get stripper from Pressuretec or Sunbright be sure to mix to specs. Water based are not hard to remove.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

The pics look like decks treated with Thompsons Water seal look like after about 3 months............are you sure it was an SW product?
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #6

Gymshu-

Yes I'm sure it was Sherwin Williams, Deckscapes water based- positive, I think I still have a partial can at home...

I searched online for Deckscapes water based reviews, and for the most part they are terrible.

From now on, for me it's oil based for sealing/ staining exterior wood surfaces/ priming the shed/ priming new exterior boards etc.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll see if I can get a hold of some of this stripper and will start over.
John in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #7

John, sorry to hear of your bad experience. I will have to admit that from time to time I have trouble with Deckscapes also. For clear coats I prefer FLOOD Co's CWF-UV. They have clear, cedar, and redwood. The only problem with the clear flood is that it tends to bring out an orange color out of PT wood.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote