Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Streaky fence stain

Hi, I'm about half way through my fence staining project using CIL's Semi-Transparent Fencing, Siding & Deck stain in "Traditional Walnut". The fence material is pressure-treated pine. I'm pleased with the colour but not so pleased with the streaks I'm seeing. They aren't too noticable standing back, but looking close up they are definitely visible.

I am using a brush that is supposedly appropriate for staining. In hindsight I probably should have used a roller, but too late now. When I am finished doing the stain I would like to be able to do something to minimize the streaking. Does anyone have any advice on how I can better blend the colour (short of removing it altogether)? Would a light sanding help at all? Anything?

Thanks so much!

christieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
We pick these?

Streaky fence stain

I've only stained a fence and deck once. My experience was that the stain (a reddish semi-transparent stain by Wolman) mellowed out a little upon curing for a week or two.

NailedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
100 Year Family Tradition

Streaky fence stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by christieg View Post
Hi, I'm about half way through my fence staining project using CIL's Semi-Transparent Fencing, Siding & Deck stain in "Traditional Walnut". The fence material is pressure-treated pine. I'm pleased with the colour but not so pleased with the streaks I'm seeing. They aren't too noticable standing back, but looking close up they are definitely visible.

I am using a brush that is supposedly appropriate for staining. In hindsight I probably should have used a roller, but too late now. When I am finished doing the stain I would like to be able to do something to minimize the streaking. Does anyone have any advice on how I can better blend the colour (short of removing it altogether)? Would a light sanding help at all? Anything?

Thanks so much!
short of removing it? Nope. Did you clean the fence prior to applying the stain?
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #4

Streaky fence stain

And did you wait a cople months forthe wood to dry out before you stained it? Keep using the brush.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #5

Streaky fence stain

Stain requires rolling for satisfactory results, utilize a 5 gallon bucket a roller grid to go inside, a 3/4 inch nap roller cover and frame and roll your stain on. stir the stain frequently to keep the color consistent..
fstwrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #6

Streaky fence stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstwrtr View Post
Stain requires rolling for satisfactory results, utilize a 5 gallon bucket a roller grid to go inside, a 3/4 inch nap roller cover and frame and roll your stain on. stir the stain frequently to keep the color consistent..
Sorry, but that is wrong. A brush is the best way to keep the stain even. You can use a roller to get the stain on the wood, but you really need to back-brush to get even consistency and penetration. a 3/4" roller nap is way overkill unless you have an extremely rough surface and will get almost as much stain all over you and the ground as it will on the fence.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #7

Streaky fence stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Sorry, but that is wrong. A brush is the best way to keep the stain even. You can use a roller to get the stain on the wood, but you really need to back-brush to get even consistency and penetration. a 3/4" roller nap is way overkill unless you have an extremely rough surface and will get almost as much stain all over you and the ground as it will on the fence.

uhh, okay mathew...Ill inform my customers going back to 1992 that I have been doing it wrong all these years
Old 08-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #8

Streaky fence stain

So what exactly would you explain to your customers since 1992 about all those cut-in areas that look different that the rest of the fence?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #9

Streaky fence stain

Quote:
So what exactly would you explain to your customers since 1992 about all those cut-in areas that look different that the rest of the fence?

Mathew,
Perhaps you should spend your energy reading the persons post before responding to my reply, all to often we reply in ways that are inconsistant to the actual question being answered,thus showing a true of lack of interest in the persons conserns. the persons post adresses streaks.

Your ability to solve other peoples problems are only as good as your ability to LISTEN.

As to your question of explaination to my cumstomers ( since 1992), I would not offer up a stupid, unrelated answer, to a question that was not answered, once again showing a lack of LISTENING skills This is why they are still my customer.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #10

Streaky fence stain

Sorry if I came across a little harsh but a 3/4" roller nap is not very good suggestion for staining.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #11

Streaky fence stain

Quote:
Sorry if I came across a little harsh but a 3/4" roller nap is not very good suggestion for staining.

I am almost certain that there are others on this site that would appretiate your.... opinion... I encourage you to seek them out...
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
Household Handyman

Streaky fence stain

Back to the original problem--how old was the PT wood before staining? Did you use a cleaner as asked by someone else, and allow the wood to dry after cleaning? Pressure Treated Southern Yellow Pine takes a long, very long, time to adequately dry out for proper staining. Actually, I bet that if you give it a week in good dry weather, the stain will start to look very good. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2

Streaky fence stain

Quote:

No mention of cutting in that I saw anywhere.

"
Sorry, but that is wrong. A brush is the best way to keep the stain even. You can use a roller to get the stain on the wood, but you really need to back-brush to get even consistency and penetration. a 3/4" roller nap is way overkill unless you have an extremely rough surface and will get almost as much stain all over you and the ground as it will on the fence."

I would agree.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote