Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #1

Share |

strait tape lines & caulking?

Hi there need to use some tape to get some strait lines, i read somewhere about a trick, using tape and caulking (to seal edge) to achieve this. Can somone please explain how the caulking trick works?

thanks

Joe

joe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

The idea is to seal the edge of the tape to prevent the paint from bleeding. What are you painting.. a stripe, against trim, two different colors?

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #3

I would like to paint a nice strait line against my trim and casings. If you seal with caulk woul this not leave a slight ridge?
joe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

You still want to caulk with acrylic latex caulking prior to painting. Wipe clean with a wet finger. Paint the trim first. Now while looking at the wall you should be able to paint a straight edge without taping anything. And the caulking ridge is too small to notice or hinder this process. use a quality brush. A small artist brush can be used for more precision if needed.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #5

Something that helps is to be on a good step ladder close to your work. Limit the coffee, take short breaks, and keep the brush base clean.

For freehanding:
-Lock your wrist, and paint with your shoulder or elbow(whichever is in better shape lol) in a twisting motion.
-Load you brush, and put on a thich ridge of paint 1/2 inch away from your line.
-Use that "resevoir" to siphon paint to the applying edge of the brush, usually near the center of the brush not the end.
This edge will consist of a bundle of 4-10 hairs which reinforce each other.
-The size of the brush sometimes doesn't matter. A 3" holds more paint than a 2" and be faster depending on the job/area. For me, a very small brush shows my shaky hand, and I get tired of dipping.
-Don't push hard. Spread it with 4-8in strokes with a slight curve at the begining and the end.
-If you get a blob of paint, get rid of the paint in the brush elsewhere, and brush underneath it to deflate it.
-If paint gets on the trim, wipe off and redo later.
-First, smooth and/or fill in the the edge before, for a clean line. Knock off the high spots with 60-220 grit wrapped around a paint stick, and smooth it out with caulk(flexing problem areas) or spackle(I prefer). Let dry to shrink, and touch up if necessary. I wipe spackle briefly with a wet cloth.
Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote