Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Storing Paint - Any Pro's in the house

What's your secret sauce on storing leftover paint - for touchups, etc.
I know less air is better.

- Glass bottle (easy to find )
- Metal Cans

Regardless of storage medium, it's a good idea to lay a heavy plastic bag over the lip to prevent rust.

Even having fresh cans...and with the rep doing the mixing, the inner lip if not used immediately, I've seen it rust out.

I'm working on 3 various rooms. I expect to have leftover for touchup.
As well, I'm probably using like 1/64 of a gallon of this special primer I need - XIM peel Bond.

Love to hear your advice on how to store these *water based* paint these days......

mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 514

Close the lids and give it to the homeowner. Then it is their problem.

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Plastic coffee can work. I don't recommend storing leftover paint. Touching up paint works about as well as the best tat artists think they can fix bad skin art.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Don't expect more than a couple years- close it tight.
Or clean out a bottle ( like a laundry detergent bottle- pull out the spout) ,
Label really well ( color , exactly what it is, where it goes) .
Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,142

I go against the grain on this one. I live in a very price conscious area so I keep an "archive" of leftover paint. Many customers lose track of their leftovers or they need a bit for touch-ups etc. so I keep it shelved in my basement. I usually recondition it by straining and adding some floetrol before I again put any on walls. Yes, some of it goes bad in a year or so, but some paint lasts in the can for as long as 10 years. My secret is to keep it in a cool dark place. After keeping some of the paint for more than a couple years, I combine similar sheens/colors into a 5 gallon bucket and make TAUPE for use on utility sheds, old buildings, etc where color/quality isn't such a big deal. Or sometimes a landlord wants basement walls painted in some apt. buildings & just wants a quick "blow & go". Those leftovers are perfect for that type of job. The bonus is that none of the paint is wasted. Just my two cents'.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (04-29-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I go against the grain on this one. I live in a very price conscious area so I keep an "archive" of leftover paint. Many customers lose track of their leftovers or they need a bit for touch-ups etc. so I keep it shelved in my basement. I usually recondition it by straining and adding some floetrol before I again put any on walls. Yes, some of it goes bad in a year or so, but some paint lasts in the can for as long as 10 years. My secret is to keep it in a cool dark place. After keeping some of the paint for more than a couple years, I combine similar sheens/colors into a 5 gallon bucket and make TAUPE for use on utility sheds, old buildings, etc where color/quality isn't such a big deal. Or sometimes a landlord wants basement walls painted in some apt. buildings & just wants a quick "blow & go". Those leftovers are perfect for that type of job. The bonus is that none of the paint is wasted. Just my two cents'.
Mayve Bubba? Unless you are better than me, and I am really good at trying to feather in color for art gallery walls. Keeping the paint and its color in a cool dark place is not going to spare what is on the walls from UV rays, just to start. That stuff in the basement is never going to match walls if they had any pigment to them and were subjected to any degree of UV rays. There is no reason to store paint.

It will not match.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (04-28-2012), oldpaintdoc (04-28-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

It is also a big fire hazard to store in you're basement
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Chris- he's talking about water based... not a fire hazard
Gymschu (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

If you want to touch up your house with the original paint in the future, an air tight seal is the only way to go. I'm a painting contractor and on my own house I use Tupperware containers. Pour the paint into a ziplock bag first. Then place the ziplock bag full of paint into an equally sized ziplock container. Pour water on top of the bag and in the container around the ziplock bag. It's been working for me for years.

www.apluspaintingandcoatings.com
MHCoating is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MHCoating For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Chris- he's talking about water based... not a fire hazard
missed that
Old 04-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,142

Been storing paint for 34 years in my basement with no problems at all. Sdsester, I know it's not gonna match walls that have been exposed to sunlight, etc. but repainting a wall and bringing it to a corner is acceptable to lots of people on a budget. Sure beats the heck out of buying another can of paint at $50 per gallon when you can offer a service to your clients for a fraction of the cost. My approach goes something like this: "Sure I can do some touch-ups.......I have a leftover gallon of paint from the last time I painted your living room.......if you pay the labor, I'll provide the paint, after all YOU BOUGHT IT!" No it's not an ideal situation, but it does provide a niche service to many customers. And, like I said, if the paint ends up sitting there for 3, 4, 5 years, I put it all together as "slop" paint for those few jobs where color/sheen/quality do not matter.

Last edited by Gymschu; 04-29-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Mayve Bubba? Unless you are better than me, and I am really good at trying to feather in color for art gallery walls. Keeping the paint and its color in a cool dark place is not going to spare what is on the walls from UV rays, just to start. That stuff in the basement is never going to match walls if they had any pigment to them and were subjected to any degree of UV rays. There is no reason to store paint.

It will not match.
I disagree.

Are you suggesting to just throw away any extra? Everyone here likes to preach about "paint-store paint" - which ain't cheap, even on sale. There's no way I'm going to waste a drop. If I go to use it in three years only to find that it's no good, I can live with that, because at least I tried to salvage it.

Besides, I can think of quite a few reasons off the top of my head why paint should be kept. Nail holes, quarter round or other moldings, ceiling fan medallions, picture frames, et cetera. Stored paint could come in handy for all those things - even if it's no longer a 100% match.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 78 View Post
I disagree.

Are you suggesting to just throw away any extra? Everyone here likes to preach about "paint-store paint" - which ain't cheap, even on sale. There's no way I'm going to waste a drop. If I go to use it in three years only to find that it's no good, I can live with that, because at least I tried to salvage it.

Besides, I can think of quite a few reasons off the top of my head why paint should be kept. Nail holes, quarter round or other moldings, ceiling fan medallions, picture frames, et cetera. Stored paint could come in handy for all those things - even if it's no longer a 100% match.
Of course I am not suggesting you toss extra. And you nailed it in your comment. You will never get stuff stored anywhere near the color on your walls or trim the moment UV rays hit it.

Mix it together into mauve or beige and paint basements or outbuildings with it as suggested.

I am saying, and I brag but am really good. Pigmented paint you think you can store for a color match will never work. Ever.

I am forced retired now but through the ages I learned to order quantities of paint pretty close to exact requirements for jobs. Of course I missed at times and found a quart or gallon extra over the course of 20 something years painting for a living. I never stored it. I usually donated it to a charity like Habitat for Humanity if I goofed and ended up with excess.

I was also called in as willing volunteer to sort out paint for my ReStore part of Habitat for Humanity. Trust me, I know more about clunky stored paint than anybody on this planet.

Don't do it. And frankly, don't dump it on Habitat for Humanity ReStore if it has been sitting in your basement or garage for years.

It got so bad, even with toxic waste collection every year that I suggested the ReStore only accept paint from painters.

Storing paint makes no sense to me. And I fully understand the nice stuff is expensive.

Last edited by user1007; 04-29-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Been storing paint for 34 years in my basement with no problems at all. Sdsester, I know it's not gonna match walls that have been exposed to sunlight, etc. but repainting a wall and bringing it to a corner is acceptable to lots of people on a budget. Sure beats the heck out of buying another can of paint at $50 per gallon when you can offer a service to your clients for a fraction of the cost. My approach goes something like this: "Sure I can do some touch-ups.......I have a leftover gallon of paint from the last time I painted your living room.......if you pay the labor, I'll provide the paint, after all YOU BOUGHT IT!" No it's not an ideal situation, but it does provide a niche service to many customers. And, like I said, if the paint ends up sitting there for 3, 4, 5 years, I put it all together as "slop" paint for those few jobs where color/sheen/quality do not matter.

Why would'nt you juat leave it with the HO and save some space in you're basement. Personally, i never bring home any paint that the client has paid for, it stays with them. If it comes time for a "touch up " job and it does not match,or they pitched it, what ever, they have bought another gallon to do the whole wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 524

I have read that paint has a shelf life of two years unopened. I would presume that means keeping the lid on it.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote