Sticky Stain - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 508

Sticky stain

I have a home theater stand that I am selling. A while ago I put a plug in air freshener on top of it and the gel crap leaked out and took off the stain in a pretty large area. Now I wanted to attempt to fix this and I found stain that matches pretty good. I put some stain on it but it was not taking to the wood and just wipes right off I sanded a little and put a thick layer of stain on that area and let it dry. Well, now it looks better than it did but it's a sticky mess. What can I do here? I actually already have someone wanting to buy it. Lol, I put it online before I realized it was sticky.

Sticky stain-image-2130634049.jpg

Advertisement

Last edited by nikeman; 07-09-2012 at 01:24 PM.
nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sticky stain

Stain is meant to go on raw wood- it will not be absorbed into the finish, it will just sit on top.
It takes a bit of artistry, but stain ( or pigments) can be put into varnish or clear coats and built up to hide stuff like that.
but not a novice job.

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #3

Sticky stain

How is it done? I'm always up for learning stuff.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Sticky stain

I am not wild about them but they have their place. Gel stains will sit on the surface. The are a glaze more than a stain.

You are going to have to get that sticky stuff off. You will probably end up stripping the top.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #5

Sticky stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
I am not wild about them but they have their place. Gel stains will sit on the surface. The are a glaze more than a stain.

You are going to have to get that sticky stuff off. You will probably end up stripping the top.
I got the sticky stuff off. It just took the stain off that I put on so it's back to how it was. Can I use a paint? Will that be really obvious? What's this gel you speak of?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Sticky stain

You might get away with using paint in a glaze. You make glazes by suspending small amounts of pigment in a solvent/carrier like mineral spirits for oils and acrylic medium like Floetrol for waterbased. It is a tricky, trial and error process and if you dillute paint too much you ruin its properties. You should use pigments intended for making glazes. I would not use paint for this unless you plan to redo the whole thing.

Gel stains are essentially glazes too I guess. The stain is suspended in a gel carrier and you wipe it on to achieve the desired color. It is best to add layers rather than trying to do it in one pass. It will take some experimentation and I will warn you gel stains are not cheap. You can get them in small amounts though. Make sure they are fresh and within the expiration dates or you could have another sticky mess on your hands. Here is a URL for Minwax gels stains. There are other brands out there. A woodworking store will have the best selection but your paint store should have the basic colors.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...nwax-gel-stain
Old 07-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Sticky stain

The part the Sds is missing is that all the above are not final finishes. they are going to sit on top and rub off.
Gel is not a glaze. Glaze is actually a finish , thinned out. will give some protection. You can go to the store and buy glaze- either in oil or waterbase.
I have a friend who went to school for a year and a half to learn how to do exactly this. It is now his biz.
Hard to instruct in a paragraph.
I use a varnish or other clear as a base and add color to it and blend in- after removing the stain as much as possible. Then when i'm happy with the look ( might be 4 or 5 layers) I put a finish across whole area.
user1007 (07-09-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Sticky stain

Thanks for catching that! I just assumed the OP knew he would have to follow with a coat or two of finish.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #9

Sticky stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey
The part the Sds is missing is that all the above are not final finishes. they are going to sit on top and rub off.
Gel is not a glaze. Glaze is actually a finish , thinned out. will give some protection. You can go to the store and buy glaze- either in oil or waterbase.
I have a friend who went to school for a year and a half to learn how to do exactly this. It is now his biz.
I use a varnish or other clear as a base and add color to it and blend in- after removing the stain as much as possible. Then when i'm happy with the look ( might be 4 or 5 layers) I put a finish across whole area.
I am assuming I should use water based since the stain came off so easily to begin with? I'd like to know what's in them damn air fresheners that cause them to take stain off of wood!
Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #10

Sticky stain

Never mind. Someone is taking it today with the stain in the stain.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Phil - "the Paint Guy"

Rewards Points: 25

Sticky stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
True glazes are not finishes. Glazes should always be topcoated with a finish. Tinted polys used as a glaze are still topcoats. you can use a gun as a hammer but it is still a gun.

Advertisement

Cpcphil is offline   Reply With Quote