Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #1

Share |

stencil taped, cut, and now issue...

I am painting my company's logo on our front wall (3' x 6' fairly large, for me anyway) I drew the design on the wall and then began to tape out the areas. Things were going smoothly until I reached the letters, roughly 3" in height. I taped up the areas and with my exacto knife began to cut the tape leaving the area to be painted exposed as I had done for the entire project (flawlessly might I add.) Pulled off some tape and the tape held on to the paint (the basic white wall) pulling it up in sections exposing the dry wall underneath. Is there any way to fix this? Is there a way to "re-adhere" the paint to the wall without having to start over (remove the paint that has come up, fill in the area, sand, prime, and paint)... I doubt there is a fix for this, but I assume it has happened before and I am HOPING that someone has come up with something.

Thanks in advance for any help!

pmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

stencil taped, cut, and now issue...

The age old problem with painter's tape. Not much of a workaround but to fix it properly.

You might think of doing the logo as a vinyl applique. You can get different mil thicknesses and just about any color, metallic, etc. Sticks best to paint with some sheen to it. Removal is usually pretty easy with a hair dryer if the adhesive is stubborn.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote