Steel Siding Vs Vinyl Siding - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Steel Siding vs Vinyl Siding

Our home has white steel siding, with a pattern or texture in the siding. It is white and about 30+ years old. The paint is starting to oxidize and some spots look grayish in color. We are to the point where we need to either paint it, or we are considering vinyl siding. Some say to definitely paint it, that this is very durable siding. We had an addition done about 10 years ago and were able to purchase this exact same siding. Some say go Vinyl, it is very good quality, won't have to do anything else to it during my lifetime. They say problems with the vinyl is due to the installation not being done correctly. But, I have some seen some vinyl siding where you can certainly see dents and holes from hail, etc. We have been through hail storms many times. I don't want to paint the steel siding and have to do it again in 10 years. I don't want to take it off, put on vinyl, and regret it. The steel is over old wood siding, and the contractor says both layers should be taken off before the vinyl put on. Help!

Advertisement

?after? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,278

I have painted lots of STEEL siding over the years with great results. Most of those jobs give you 8-10 years of service. You're not likely to get too much past 10 years mainly because of dirt and fading which take their toll. We prime any bare/rusted spots with a rusty metal primer and topcoat with 2 coats of Sherwin-Williams SuperPaint. If you keep up on the cleaning of the siding every 2-3 years you can really extend the life of the paint job.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?after? View Post
The steel is over old wood siding, and the contractor says both layers should be taken off before the vinyl put on. Help!
Your contractor is correct! You need to get back to the sheathing to inspect and correct any issues that may be there.

Your steel or vinyl siding over the original wood siding is (and always be) just a Band-Aid to the structure. If you care about your home you'll tear it all off first.

JMO... so I won't get into all of the reasons why you shouldn't even consider vinyl siding to protect your home to begin with (unless you ask of coarse).

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-23-2013 at 08:34 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 83

I too have painted steel siding with excellent results. It will also cost you thousands less then vinyl siding.
JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JMDPainting For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,670

Help beautify America, outlaw vinyl siding.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote