Steams Lines In Bathroom - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

steams lines in bathroom

Just completed a bathroom painting project and have developed steam/condensation lines on the walls after showering. Bathroom was not used for three days after painting was completed.....walls were properly cleaned/prepped prior to painting. Used Ben Moore Aura, eggshell....which is "supposed" to eliminate this from happening. Any suggestions on how to fiz this problem.

Advertisement

b toohey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

steams lines in bathroom

Did you use kilz on the spots or anywhere on the walls prior to painting?

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

steams lines in bathroom

Not sure what steam lines are
Aura tends not to get surfactant leaching, and is a great mildew resistant bath paint, but it won't keep moisture from forming on walls if the bathroom doesn't have enough venting

More information would be needed to figure what your problem is and how to fix it

Describe the exact prep steps and products used, the size of the bath, any exhaust fans etc., and exactly what "steam lines" are and if they wipe off with a rag, cleaner, or not at all
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 AM   #4

steams lines in bathroom

I wiped down the walls with a tsp solution, rinsed, let dry, then lightly sanded the walls, then wiped down again. applied two coats of Aura eggshell. The steam lines or drip lines...that is how I can describe it, are the vertical streaks left behind from moisture build up on the walls. The bath is about a 5 X 5 area....no windows, and a failry new ventilation system. The owner claims it is used everytime, as she has to go in to turn the fan off becuase her kids always forget to do so. This room abuts a powder room - a door separates them both and is closed when showers are taken. the lines won't wipe off....
Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,070

steams lines in bathroom

Hmm, do you see any roller lines in the paint? That's about the only thing I can think of and will be more prominent on an eggshell finish.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #6

steams lines in bathroom

nope - no roller lines...it definitley is streaks from the condensation dripping down the walls as the steam built up....i have contacted my paint dealer and they have a ben moore rep coming to look at it as they claim that this should not be happening with the Aura paint.....we'll see
Old 11-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 502

steams lines in bathroom

Did you rinse the TSP? If not, I suspect you are suffering from surfactant leeching. Surfactants are components of a paint that help to keep the various parts (pigment, solvent, and resin) "in suspension" so they do not separate. (Nestor could provide you with more detail.) Surfactant leeching is a problem in some low-quality paints, such as Behr (it is heavily loaded with pigments, and therefore, surfactants, in order to make some dubious marketing claims), especially in the presence of moisture. Aura happens to be a very high-quality paint, so that ordnarily would not be the issue. However...

TSP (Tri-Sodium-Phosphate) happens to also be a surfactant. (Surfactants can remove residue and grease because they can mix with things like oils and grime, and hold them in a water solution instead of the junk sticking to the wall. This is essentially how all soaps/detergents work.) If you did not rinse the TSP, it may be leeching through your paint.

How to fix? I suspect it should just wipe off with a wet sponge. If not, light scrubbing with a Mr. Clean eraser should do the trick. You may have to repeat this several times, at least until your paint cures.

SirWired

Last edited by sirwired; 11-07-2008 at 07:14 PM.
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,070

steams lines in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by b toohey View Post
it definitley is streaks from the condensation dripping down the walls as the steam built up
Hmm, if you have condensation dripping down the walls, then I don't see how it's the fault of the paint. Maybe I am missing something....

Advertisement

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote