Stairwell Painting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Stairwell painting

I am to the point of painting my stairwell and i'm not sure how to proceed. I looked at the one thread that discussed options and a platform would be great but it might be overkill since I'm just painting one stairwell. Is there anything else i should be looking into or is a platform my best bet? It is a U-shape stair with a total wall height of roughly 20'.

I'm doing it by myself (i.e. alone in the house) and falling down a stairwell isnt high on my list of fun things to do so something secure and stable ranks pretty highly on the list o' stuff.

thanks!

Advertisement

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Stairwell painting

I think I am the one who posted the platform and started the thread you saw. The one shown was left with the house when it sold but I only used it once and really needed it for only 20 minutes. The new owners may use it for changing bulbs and things up at the ceiling if they don't get tired of tripping over it in the garage. I am just not much for acting like a monkey with ladders Rube Goldberg configured anymore. The platform was built out of scrap. I figure it was cheaper than a potential broken collarbone. Ladder injuries still top the list of all those household so be careful.

Some of the stair climber ladders are alright but you have the situation like I did where they are just not tall enough. As mentioned in the post you can rent special things for stairwells but it is hard to justify the cost for a little project.

I think a lot comes down to how brave you are and how good your insurance. Whatever you decide, it might not be a bad idea to invite a spotter over for the minutes you are in the extremes of the stairwell and in the most precarious of positions.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #3

Stairwell painting

that's the post! i'm contemplating making a platform but i have no scrap available right now so i would have to purchase wood. the light fixture is easily accessible from the hallway at the top of the stair - so once its painted i really don't need a platform again =/
Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #4

Stairwell painting

secondary question that might be important - does the physical size of the person doing the rube goldberg tricks make a huge difference? i'm about 6'3" and 230+ (i don't actually own a scale :p) and i know i'm pushing the limits of a lot of the equipment that i've seen around.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Stairwell painting

I am about your size and height has come in handy but not much for tall stairwells or extremely tall ceilings I often find for that matter. Wish I could cut in accurately with a brush-on-a-stick thing at times. And when adjusting lights for some galleries I wish there were one or two more steps to the ladder at times. An electrician that does work for me has no qualms about standing out on the platform of a 20' thing I use. All the heros in my family are dead though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
WindowTreatment Installer

Rewards Points: 75

Stairwell painting

I have a little giant ladder. I used it a couple of years ago to paint our walls and ceiling. Highest point a little over 18 feet. The one I have has a standing height of 11'6" Plus I'am 6' giving me 17 ' and arms reach and extension pole.I use this ladder on the job and feel very secure on it. Can adjust one side to rest on a stair and the other on the floor. It retacts very nicely into a 6' ladder to store in my van. They sell one a little smaller and one a little taller than mine. The taller one I think has a standing height of 14' giving a 5' person an easy reach to 20'. Good Luck
bobtheblindguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Stairwell painting

We live in a 3 story with open staircase all the way to the roof - skylight at the top. I used one of the telescoping poles with a small pad attachment that screws on the end. I can't remember the name, but it is plastic, adjustable with a wingnut so you can vary the angle, and has little wheels along one edge that are meant to roll along the ceiling. It has removable pads that you dip lightly into the paint (VERY lightly - make sure you don't get any paint on the wheels), then just press it to the wall a fraction of an inch below where the ceiling and wall meet, slide it up, then roll it back and forth and it makes a nice 3-4 inch line of paint that you can then use the roller to run up and down against without getting too close to the ceiling. It's slow going but works like a charm. And I'm scared of heights!

I didn't use any scaffolding or ladders on the stairs at all. Just be mindful of where you are standing and don't try to do any side to side maneuvers. Keep your feet firmly planted on two stairs at a time.

HTH

Advertisement

2mutts is offline   Reply With Quote