Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

Staining wood

I'm staining a table top, and after reading the directions it says I have the option of using a rag to wipe it on or a paintbrush to paint it on... I was thinking the rag idea would be best but wanted to hear any other opinions....
Thanks

KDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Staining wood

It depends somewhat on the type of stain you are using, the wood your are staining, and depth of color you want to leave behind. The thing to remember is that to the point the wood will not hold any more stain, you can add more color with multiple coats. If you put the stain on too heavy and do not wipe the excess, you could end up with something darker than you expected or wanted.

Soft woods like pine and fir will absorb more stain and faster than hardwoods like hickory and oak and you can get obvious over saturation points where your work overlaps if you do not even it out quickly as you go with a cloth.

I don't think I have ever stained anything where a cloth or two was not used in the process at some point. Messy but no other way to achieve the desired look.

Brushing the stain on and chasing after the excess with a soft cloth is sort of a hybrid approach to the two options you mention. I always preach good brushes for anything and the same for stain I guess. Staining may be one place where I could see using inexpensive foam brushes to put the finish on with a cloth ready in the other hand to blend it in.

If you opt for gel stain you will probably want to wipe it on.

Don't be afraid to ask the folks at a real paint store for advice and recommendations.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #3

Staining wood

Keep in mind that soft woods like pine needs a prestain conditioner to reduce splotchy staining.

The end process of staining is to wipe off the excess after it has penetrated for a few minutes. I just skip the brush process(which usually takes longer) and always use a rag. Brushes do help in getting into tight corners, edges, and intricate patterns.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
DIY staff

Staining wood

I prefer cotton rags over a brush for most things---Remeber Sdsesters advice---The stained wood must be wiped off after the stain is applied--

You want the stain IN the wood--not on the surface--so apply--wait a minute or two--then wipe again with a clean cloth.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #5

Staining wood

Awesome. Worked great thks
KDOC is offline   Reply With Quote