Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,040

Staining "PT" wood

I've got someone - built a fence for them - wants to stain the
"AC2" lumber (too much time on their hands).
Put the fence together 2 - 3 months ago.
"PT" was wet.
When can they stain it?
6 mons. - Spring?

rossfingal

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,476

Staining "PT" wood

Give it a year of seasons at the least.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (10-03-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #3

Staining "PT" wood

Thanks "Bud Cline"!
I thought as much (I'm not a Painter/stainer) - wanted some type of
independent feed-back.
Any ideas why you should wait that long - moisture content/chemicals ...
etc.?
It's for a friend - I don't want to steer them wrong -
I'd like to point them to this thread - so, they don't think it's "Just Me"

rossfingal
Old 10-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Staining "PT" wood

The internet has many independent opinions as to when, "wet" PT wood should be stained.
Time frames will differ due to how wet the wood was. Use of a wood moisture meter would be the best way of deciding when to stain the wood.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (10-03-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Staining "PT" wood

More reading: QUESTIONS & ANSWERS -- EXTERIOR STAIN
Q: I have a brand-new deck that was constructed with pressure-treated wood. I have heard that I should wait 60-90 days or even a year before staining. Is this true?
A: No. While some manufacturer's products require wood to be exposed for six months to a year so that the wood is dry and the grain is open for optimum penetration, products can be applied immediately. It is our experience that after six months of exposure, the wood has started to crack, split, warp,cup, and turn gray; permanent damage has already occurred. Therefore, we recommend protecting Pressure-Treated Wood (PTW) as soon as possible, preventing this type of damage from occurring and thus extending the life of the deck. It should be noted that more and more PTW being received today is very “green” and completely saturated with water. For saturated wood, the recommendation is to allow it to dry for a week or so before coating, but still coat as soon as possible. The Forest Technology Laboratories have proven that wood exposed and left uncoated for two or more weeks will have coating failures significantly sooner than wood coated before exposure to the elements. http://www.ppgpittsburghpaints.com/f...wers/index.htm

Q: What should I use to coat my pressure-treated deck?

A:The pressure-treating process soaks wood. When newly installed, it will not allow coatings to adhere well. For the most part it is best to allow the surface to dry, and the time needed can vary. An easy test is to splash/sprinkle water on the surface. If the water beads on the surface, more drying time is needed. If the water droplets soak into the wood, then the surface can be coated.
The deck should be cleaned at that time, with one or two days following to permit it to dry. Once it's dry, coat pressure-treated decks with DeckScapes Toner or Stain. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_i.../staining_faq/

How long do I need to wait before I stain (or paint) my deck (or fence)?
Pressure treatment with waterborne preservatives does leave some moisture in the wood that may affect the penetration and drying of stains and paints. For optimal performance of paint and stain coatings, allow treated wood to dry prior to application. Typically, treated wood will dry in 2-4 weeks after installation.
Estimating exactly how long treated lumber will take to dry is hard to predict, and will depend on the time elapsed since pressure treatment, sun exposure, local temperature and recent weather conditions. Take these factors into consideration for your specific installation and use your best judgment. Be sure to follow the stain manufacturer’s instructions for best results. http://treatedwood.com/faq/
· Stain new wood as soon as possible. The adhesion of a stain or sealant will be greatly increased if applied within a week of installation. Even a few weeks of weathering will reduce adhesion.
· When staining new pressure-treated wood, water may remain in the wood from the preservation process, in this case the wood should be allowed to dry for about two to four weeks prior to staining. http://www.olympic.com/stain/do_it_y...#waterproofing

It varies per manufacturer of the stain, check the can label.

Gary
jsheridan (10-02-2011), rossfingal (10-03-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #6

Staining "PT" wood

Thanks "Ron"!
Thanks "GBR"!
Just what I was looking for!!

rossfingal
Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,058

Staining "PT" wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
For optimal performance of paint and stain coatings, allow treated wood to dry prior to application. Typically, treated wood will dry in 2-4 weeks after installation.
Estimating exactly how long treated lumber will take to dry is hard to predict, and will depend on the time elapsed since pressure treatment, sun exposure, local temperature and recent weather conditions. Take these factors into consideration for your specific installation and use your best judgment. Be sure to follow the stain manufacturer’s instructions for best results. http://treatedwood.com/faq/
· Stain new wood as soon as possible. The adhesion of a stain or sealant will be greatly increased if applied within a week of installation. Even a few weeks of weathering will reduce adhesion.
· When staining new pressure-treated wood, water may remain in the wood from the preservation process, in this case the wood should be allowed to dry for about two to four weeks prior to staining. http://www.olympic.com/stain/do_it_y...#waterproofing

It varies per manufacturer of the stain, check the can label.

Gary

Ugg, 2-4 weeks? I have seen PT wood still soaked after 4 weeks.