Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

Staining problems on Cedar deck

I live in Chicago and I have a new cedar deck boards installed 3 months ago. I just power washed it to remove dirt but I noticed that water sits on some boards.....water stays on the surface for a few hours. Why is this happening? I opted not to use a brightener or cleaner. Is that a good idea?? Deck looks really clean. I want this done right and I need all the good advice I can get. I know I need to use an oil based, semi-transparent stain. Please help! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEVERBRASS View Post
Unfortunatley there has been a few mistakes right from the start.
As a professional in this field it is my job to ask very key questions of
the consumer about there deck before I recommend a stain for them.
A) How old is there deck?
B) How high off the ground is the deck?
C) What species of wood?
D) What type of sun exposure?

These are all very important questions to ask the consumer because it helps me determine what type of stain but more importantly what type of prep prior to staining.
Each stain on the market also has different types of application Do's & Dont's, such as wet on wet applications, One coat applications the list
goes on and on.
Most importantly for you benefit, New cedar decks need to be sanded
with a 60-80 grit sandpaper prior to stain application to remove mill glaze.
Check with your local hardware store to see if they loan out moisture meters, 15% is the maximum amount of moisture you want in your deck.
Do not roll or spray deck stain, It just allows the stain to sit on the surface
opposed to penetrating. Always brush or use a deck stain pad.
I hope this info is valuable.

pomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #2

I live in Chicago and I have a new cedar deck boards installed 3 months ago. I just power washed it to remove dirt but I noticed that water sits on some boards.....water stays on the surface for a few hours. Why is this happening? I opted not to use a brightener or cleaner. Is that a good idea?? Deck looks really clean. I want this done right and I need all the good advice I can get. I know I need to use an oil based, semi-transparent stain. Please help! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ThGeneration View Post
Cedar decks always have tannin bleeding as well as the paraffin wax protective from the lumber yard to protect it until it goes out. It should be lightly stripped and pH balanced before you applied the stain. Thats probably why it did not penetrate the wood properly without being there to evaluate it for you.

I always opt for a deep penetrating oil based stain like Armstrong Clark. It has non drying and drying oils as well as being a green product for the environment. It is easy to apply and dries uniformly when finished. If it happens to come a rain from no where when you are done it will have to be a huge down pour to even wash a tiny bit off.

Give it a try.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteG View Post
Another professional opinion here:

We successfully apply penetrating oil based stains on new and aged cedar after a thorough cleaning. I'm also with 4th Generation up there - We don't sand, rather we buff the wood. Cedar is very soft and oversanding can cause an entirely different set of problems when staining.

Depending on surroundings and weather, we pad, brush, or spray - definitely don't roll.

The likelihood of the Bennie Moore rep knowing about wood staining as opposed to painting is probably low (least here it is). Look for a wood care pro - tell them up front you just want an evaluation and some guidance.

Celeste
Old 09-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #4

If water is standing on your deck it means that you've got low spots. Wood subjected to moisture is prone to "cupping" where the edges of the wood can raise, creating a "valley" in the board.

Most professional deck builders practice a "Crown Down" installation where they examine the end grain of the board and install it with the grain forming an arch rather than a smiley face. This helps to prevent cupping.

If your boards are installed "Crown Up" you might consider flipping them over.

Sanding the surface of the deck can also eliminate the problem in some cases where the cupping is minor. Often a floor sander is used to help level the surface or remove excessive splintering. Sanding is limited to the depth of the fasteners. If there are screw or nail heads at or above the surface of the wood, sanding is not an option.

Regardless of what type of stain you choose, how you prep the surface will be the greatest determining factor in the longevity of the finish. Going through a two step cleaning and brightening process will help prepare the wood to accept the stain. Generally the best practice will be to follow the finish manufacturers recommended prep procedures.
Russell Cissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Thanks Russell. I appreciate your expert and professional comment. I guess it's too late to filp the boards over. You are right about the low spots. Anything I can do to prevent the rest of the boards from cupping?? My carpenter obviously did not practice a "crown down" installlation which sounds very important. Any more tips in preventing cupping would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #6

I am happy to try and help but you should know I can only offer my opinion, I am not a carpenter so my comments shouldn't be considered as expert. You might well find someone who can offer you more precise information or better solution.

It is never too late to flip them, but depending what type of fasteners were used and how many need to be flipped it may require some work.

Applying a sealer might help some but you are fighting the natural tendencies of the wood at this point. Do you have pictures by chance? How bad is the cupping now? How many boards are installed with the crown up?
Russell Cissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #7

It was nailed down. I had the old deck boards removed and installed new cedar boards in June 2009. I kept the joist that was there before. There are 5 or 6 boards holding water. It seem like most or all boards are in smiley face rather than arch. I was told this was normal due to the fact that trees are round. But having said this I've seen a deck where boards are not smiling but arching instead. I have always wondered and thought that it could be the kind of wood. I will try and take a picture and post or send to you.

Thanks!