Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |

staining and poly advice?

Hi. This is the first time I've ever stained anything. And thanks to a YouTube video on staining, I stained my bathroom cabinets and didn't know I was supposed to wipe them. Soo, after giggling and asking a guy at the store, I decided to get some mineral spirits and word it ask down. I think that has done a pretty good job of clearing of the excess since it's not sticky anymore. I haven't put poly on yet and an not sure what to do. I don't like how light it turned out... Any suggestions on making it darker and poly? I saw that poly/ stain in one but I am leery about trying it.

emilyoemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

I would attach an image but can't figure out how.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Me again. I was on my phone (clearly :/) It was supposed to say "wipe it all down" in my original post.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

googling- not giggling
Old 05-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #5

It would help to know what brand of stain your using. Some are thicker, some penetrate more.
It would probably darken some if you stained it again. This time just wait about 10-15 minutes for the wood to soak up what stain it can, then wipe it off with a dry rag.
It's possible that now that the stain is dry, and because it was left on heavy to begin with, that the wood won't absorb much( or any) more stain.
You certainly don't want excess stain sitting on the surface. If that doesn't work, Pollyshades or a similar product would be the only option( short of stripping and starting over) that I know of.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Directions are always right on the can or the companys web sites.
Min Wax is good about giving detailed directions and feed back when there's a question.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
It would help to know what brand of stain your using. Some are thicker, some penetrate more.
It would probably darken some if you stained it again. This time just wait about 10-15 minutes for the wood to soak up what stain it can, then wipe it off with a dry rag.
It's possible that now that the stain is dry, and because it was left on heavy to begin with, that the wood won't absorb much( or any) more stain.
You certainly don't want excess stain sitting on the surface. If that doesn't work, Pollyshades or a similar product would be the only option( short of stripping and starting over) that I know of.
Thanks.
I'm not sure it will soak up any more stain. It turned out nice looking but it was just sticky since I hadn't wiped the excess. So, I wiped it down with mineral spirits just until it wasn't sticky anymore. So, I'm thinking that's about all the stain it'll take. It is minwax stain. I used the walnut color- and on the can it is much darker than it turned out on my wood.

So, has anyone had success with the polyshades? I saw it at the store and someone mentioned that it is hard to work with, so it scared me away. I'd like to try the mahogany over the existing walnut stain.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
JOATMON

Was it bare wood?

I have feeling it was not bare wood. If so.....your going to basically have to start over.

If they were bare wood...then we really do need pictures.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Was it bare wood?

I have feeling it was not bare wood. If so.....your going to basically have to start over.

If they were bare wood...then we really do need pictures.
It was bare wood, lol, thanks for assuming I'm dumb, lol (jk- I didn't wipe the stain, I know I'm dumb) It was bare and I sanded it. How do I post a pic?
Old 05-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #10

[/IMG]
Old 05-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #11

Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #12

That looks pretty dark. Is that with a second coat of stain? Keep in mind not 2 types of wood will the same with the stain (Poet and he didn't know it) so how it looks on the can may not look eaxactly how it looks on your cabinets.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I think I would try a darker walnut, ebony or whatever stain before shifting to some other approach. Mahogany is going to have more red in it.

I don't like polyshades because like any polyurethane, you only have so much time to work the product. And once you put poly on, you cannot go back with a product intended to stain the grain. You can only build up with color in the poly layers.

Gel stains have a place and you have that option if a darker transparent stain does not work for you.

A real paint store should have samples or charts showing stain colors on different woods.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #14

So are you saying you wouldn't use poly at all? I guess it is dark, but I was hoping for something richer and this just looks like a dull dark brown. I was thinking poly would give it the richness, especially if it had a tint to it..?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Poly after you are finished staining. Not stain as part of the poly. Gel stain, then poly a big maybe depending on your test sections.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote