Staining Pine A Cinnamon Color - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 570

Staining pine a cinnamon color

How far down should I sand (grit wise) because I know that the higher the grit the less it will take in the stain as you close it off some when its too smooth, what do you suggest as the highest I should go? Should I just do a quick sand down in say 120 and stop at that for stain? It's a darker stain just not really dark probably middle range in darkness...

also I am using a oil based prestain too

Advertisement

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,578

What type of wood? Different woods sand differently. For example, Pine is soft and you can't be too aggressive with sanding. Oak, on the other hand, is a hardwood that doesn't sand up quite as easily. To be honest, I never sanded a whole lot before staining. I did a basic 220 grit overall light sanding to remove marks, etc. and then I stained, allowed it to dry, then began the application of poly or whatever other clear coat you may choose. I always thought the most important sanding was between coats of polyurethane, but that's just me.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I'm with gymschu. I don't sand too much before staining. I generally go over the surface lightly with 120 or 150 sanding out any pencil marks and such, and also any wooden "hair" that comes from the factory blades. Also try to avoid sanding too heavily in any particular spot, feathering out any of these trouble areas. Putty after the first coat of poly. Three coats of poly with sanding in between them, 220 lightly, and it should look sweet. Way to go with the pre-stain conditioner on pine. So many painters don't know or take the time to use it and turn pine into a blotchy mess. That got a guy fired and me hired once. He ruined her French door but I got the job.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Gel stain works wonders on soft woods. You typically don't need any conditioner with gel stain, and is also easier to control the depth of color.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote