DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Staining my Deck

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  slickshift 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am about to re-stain my deck. The previous owner had used regular paint on the deck.
I know that I have to strip the paint, clean it and stain it....
But what brand do you guys recommend for each step. (There are so many in the market)

Thank you....

#3 ·
If it's painted, be prepare to sand it to death. You can try a full strength paint stripper like "Dad's" that can be found at your local hardware store...be extremely cautious with chemical strippers though. I am hesitant to recommend professional grade products we would use, but you can try a sodium hydroxide stripper which would probably take several applications at your own risk. You'll then need to nuetralize the stripper on the wood before applying a stain using either oxacilic acid or citric acid. Then, you would need to allow it to dry (check with a moisture meter for less than 12%) and apply your new stain...assuming all of the paint comes off cleanly. Be prepared to use a solid color stain to get a good look.

For a good solid color stain I would recommend cabbots, semi-transparent I would recommend Ready Seal.

Good luck with your project...there are many variables in what you want to do. I hope some advice will be helpful.

#4 ·
I'd try some of the ones you can get at your local paint shop
To be honest, it's labor and chemical intensive, and usually not cost-effective for someone to hire me to do it

The wood (decking) really has to be in good shape other-wise for it to be worth it, and that's rarely the case when it comes to someone calling me for paint stripping a deck

You local paint shop will have a good idea of what's (relatively) effective and legal for your area chemically, and you'll still have plenty of sanding to do after stripping and before staining

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.